Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Craving white chalk?

(11 Posts)
Babsicle84 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:30:32

Good morning smile
I have been craving specifically white chalk for the past week I’m 32+6 my man works in a school and I’ve asked him to see if the chalk he uses is non toxic and if so can I have a stick to munch!! This is mad! Can anyone relate?

BigBaboonBum Sun 29-Oct-17 10:34:16

This is called pica, it's not normal and you should tell your midwife or doctor. Nothing to worry about though if you don't eat any of it! I believe it's likely a deficiency of some kind xx

Ilovechocolate111 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:35:10

I had a mad craving with my 3rd for sponge (bath sponge). Hate the feeling of it but wanted it like made x

Babsicle84 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:38:44

Ok will call the midwife tomorrow thanks. If I think about it I salivate it’s mad! Did you eat the sponge I love chocolate?

Babsicle84 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:39:59

Ok will call the midwife tomorrow thank you smile. If I think about it I salivate it’s mad! Did you eat the sponge I love chocolate? Xxx

acornsandnuts Sun 29-Oct-17 10:44:37

Mine was plaster, cemetery and rubble. I used to make some up in secret in our shed and smell it. It took a lot of will power not to nibble.

And if I passed a skip outside on the street it was like dragging a child away from an ice cream van. Weird.

Ilovechocolate111 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:09:50

I used to chew it but never eat it lol.
I told the midwife about my craving and she said it could be my iron levels which make me crave weird objects. So she did my iron levels and in fact my iron was very low. So she put me on tablets and the craving went x

Babsicle84 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:35:13

Oh fair enough, thanks for help and reassurances!smile x

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 23:38:13

Firelighters and fumes from lorries.

Themayorofshitterton Sun 29-Oct-17 23:49:24

I craved chalk when pregnant with DC2. I ate quite a bit and it was delicious! Asked GP about it, he just said 'don't eat too much'. DC is 9 now and totally healthy.

OhNoGroken Sun 29-Oct-17 23:53:36

Yes mention it to your midwife, but if it helps then indigestion relief tablets such as rennies (or supermarket own brand equivalent) are mostly calcium carbonate aka chalk. Flavoured sometimes if you like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: