Talk

Advanced search

Worried about effect of loud noise on fetus!

(31 Posts)
User1983 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:05:56

Hi

First time poster here. I am probably worrying unnecessarily but my google search isn’t giving me any helpful answers!!

I’m 25 weeks pregnant and was in a taxi the other day. The taxi driver popped the radio on not realising it was on the loudest possible volume! He quickly turned it down but it was so startling like an explosion. Bump was also startled and had a real jump. I am probably being unnecessarily anxious but as the sound was so loud and sudden, I am worried that I have caused baby hearing loss. Any mums on here who can help explain effects of noise on baby? Thank you!

Foggymist Fri 27-Oct-17 20:11:09

You are being unnecessarily anxious. Baby is surrounded by fluid, all sounds are softened/dulled, and baby is also, y'know inside a human's body so even more protected. One blast of loud radio shouldn't cause lasting hearing damage to anything.

TellMeDinosaurFacts Fri 27-Oct-17 20:18:01

I once spent an evening at the cinema pressing my hands to my bump to try to muffle what I thought was terribly loud sound which would somehow disturb/hurt my unborn baby. So I totally sympathise, but it is a bit silly really! As pp has said, the sound will be muffled and in no way will it actually harm the baby. smile

SomehowSomewhere1 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:18:55

Not thought of that, planning to go to a fireworks display....

ShimmeringBollox Fri 27-Oct-17 20:21:15

smile try not to worry, everything will be fine.

SomehowSomewhere1 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:23:35

Just googled, sounds fine.

confused123456 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:28:04

I honestly wouldn't worry so much. I went to a concert and and was stood in the very front row, next to the speakers. I didn't know at the time, but I was in the very very early stages of my pregnancy. My baby was fine.

Taylor22 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:38:29

I worked in a night club before conception up until my due date.
Very very loud music 4 nights a week for over 7 hours.

My 3.5 year old is fine.

Please don't make yourself anxious over little things like this OP.

Oysterbabe Fri 27-Oct-17 20:50:23

Sorry but this did make me giggle.
Your baby will be absolutely fine.

TwinkleStars15 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:02:14

In the nicest possible way you sound very over anxious OP, do you suffer with anxiety normally? It really won’t have done a thing x

Vitalogy Fri 27-Oct-17 21:02:20

Imagine being under water and music blasting, it would be very muffled. I can sympathise though, I worried once when I was shouting and getting angry at something, then that upset me and made me cry even more!

Flisspaps Fri 27-Oct-17 21:05:04

Honestly, it’ll be fine.

whereisforever Fri 27-Oct-17 21:08:33

I went to an air show at 6 months pregnant. When I asked the midwives if it would be ok with all the noise they looked at me like I was a Martian grin
Don't worry about it

peanut2017 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:36:28

You and baby will be fine. I was at Black Sabbath when I was 6 months pregnant - now at that I did worry a bit as it was very loud. All was ok thank goodness

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Fri 27-Oct-17 22:50:08

My 10 month old screams at my bump every. single. day.
I can't remember the decibels of a baby screaming, but I know it's ridiculously loud. The radio did nothing to your child. Chill out a little, it's easy to worry, I know, but keep the 'unnecessary' worrying to a minimum. It won't do you any good grinflowers

DeadDoorpost Sat 28-Oct-17 02:42:53

@SomehowSomewhere1 I'm planning on going to one just to see if it'll send me into labour 😂😂 I'm due soon.
OP my sister did the exact same thing. I was 35 weeks and the volume was up loud and she forgot. Baby didn't even flinch. Maybe mine just doesn't care in the slightest hmm but no, your baby will be fine

raspberrysuicide Sat 28-Oct-17 03:08:49

I went to a Monsters of Rock concert when I was 7 months pregnant with dd1

Reppin Sat 28-Oct-17 03:09:09

confused, a foetus doesn't start hearing until almost half way through a pregnancy. So why would a concert affect an embryo that doesn't even have ears anyway?

hiddley Sat 28-Oct-17 03:16:36

Oh bless you. Your baby will be completely unaffected.

hiddley Sat 28-Oct-17 03:22:49

On the other hand I used to read Enid Blyton to my bump and play classical music (as I had read somewhere that it might increase their intelligence hmm ). Believed it all.
Incidentally, he reads books by the dozen and is intelligent, but I very much doubt it was anything to do with me or my maternity endeavours.
They are safely safely cocooned within you my dear. Don't be worrying.

hiddley Sat 28-Oct-17 03:26:47

Think of it like someone blasting music out in the next room while you're underwater swimming?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 28-Oct-17 03:32:49

Imagine being under water with your hands over your ears. That’s your baby!

hiddley Sat 28-Oct-17 03:43:13

Probably my baby MrsTerryPratchett when I blasted out Mozart. blush

I put a lot of feeling into Enid Blyton readings. The wishing chair or something it was called. Baby was probably thinking, 'thank heavens she has calmed down, she thinks she is doing something useful'.

It's so new when they're inside and you can't actually do anything for them. I did my bit. Kept me sane lol.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 28-Oct-17 04:32:34

They mostly forgive us grin

hiddley Sat 28-Oct-17 04:58:03

Ye, until they ask you aged 6, 'was I breastfed?' and you say 'yes, when you were a tiny baby' and the response is 'eugghh that's disgusting'.

I'm not really from a family or society with much breastfeeding to be fair. And it was for five weeks. Bless my efforts. grin

I feel my Enid Blyton readings had a more profound affect on him. Yes indeed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: