Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does a dark BFP line mean more than one?

(39 Posts)
NooNooHead Fri 27-Oct-17 17:57:57

I got my BFP last week and am now 5w5d. The line was v dark and came up quite quickly - much darker than with my DD.

I have an early scan in a week as I had an ectopic in March but I am totally dreading it as I will have to go alone (my DH works in London 3 days a week).

Anyone ever had a dark test line and found out that you were having more than one?! I don’t think there’s a family history of twins etc but I wondered whether being over 35 means there is a greater chance of it happening?

Pinkkahori Fri 27-Oct-17 18:00:53

I had very dark BFPs and quite early too on both pregnancies and no twins.
I did ,however, have awful hyperemesis both times which I think may be linked to high hormone levels which would tie in with the strong positives.

Starwhisperer Fri 27-Oct-17 18:01:20

5w5d is pretty late to test. I'd expect a dark line. My tests didn't look any different to me when I was having twins.

BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 18:02:40

Hi. My OH also works in London, we live up north, so I usually go to these things alone also.
I'm 30 and just found out I'm having twins, but my pregnancy test wasn't any darker as far as I recall. I did manage to get a positive test 10/11dpo though... negative 9dpo (you'd think it would be positive earlier?!)
After I found out today I've been googling like a crazy and have read that mid to late 30s, when your body is throwing out eggs for funsies, that there's a higher chance of twins

neversleepagain Fri 27-Oct-17 18:03:01

I had the faintest line ever that DH insisted I was seeing things. I got bfp very early though at 9dpo. I had twins.

NooNooHead Fri 27-Oct-17 18:03:55

Do high hormone levels mean there is a good chance of a healthy pregnancy?

My last menstrual period started on 17th Sept, so if I have my dates correct then I am 5w5d?! It’s been nearly 7 years since I did this so i’m a bit rusty! 😝

BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 18:05:02

I had mine at 10 or 11 dpo, it was negative the day before. I took a lot of tests because my boobs were hurting and my back was hurting and I just wanted to know why!

Anatidae Fri 27-Oct-17 18:07:01

It doesn’t mean much that the line is dark. If you’re interested in knowing you can book an early scan?

PandaCat Fri 27-Oct-17 18:07:17

My tests were all dark, with my first and with my current pregnancy, one baby each time!

BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 18:08:06

I think that makes you 5 weeks today

TonicAndTonic Fri 27-Oct-17 18:10:31

My bfp was dark and came up pretty damn fast on 2 different FRER sticks - when it got to my 12 week scan I measured 13+3 so I'm assuming they were dark because my dates were wrong!

BertieBotts Fri 27-Oct-17 18:12:27

Do one of those week digitals? grin If it comes up 3+, worry...

(If it comes up less than 2 weeks, don't worry. They are really for the novelty value and aren't reliable. So also don't do this unless you can afford to waste the money!)

FatRedCrayon Fri 27-Oct-17 18:14:39

Very dark line came up immediately first time round, sounds like what you had.

Very faint line the next time and I was staring at the test waiting ages!

I had one child each time and tested about the same DPO with each so guess it didn’t mean a lot in my case!

BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 18:17:31

Sorry I repeated myself, I have serious pregnancy brain it appears 🤔

Gunpowder Fri 27-Oct-17 18:20:51

I had a darker line with my first pregnancy (like a previous poster I had hyperemisis) than I did with this pregnancy that is twins (but no hyperemesis).

gandalfspants Fri 27-Oct-17 18:23:12

I had a very dark line at 4.5 weeks. Only one. Like a pp I had HG, which started 2 days later.

Ameliablue Fri 27-Oct-17 19:08:38

I had a dark line but not twins ( did have hyperemesis though).

SuffolkNWhat Fri 27-Oct-17 19:11:10

Very dark lines both times I tested positive and both hyperemesis pregnancies.

RavingRoo Fri 27-Oct-17 19:13:53

No on both counts. Not to be morbid but my friend got strong lines on all of her miscarriages. If you’re worried get an early scan.

NooNooHead Fri 27-Oct-17 19:17:02

Ah thank you for all your replies! I’ve been feeling pretty ok so far with only slight nausea waking me up, but nothing like hyperemesis as others have said.

One thing that does worry me is the fact o ate chicken liver pate around the time of conception- I think I ate a couple of slices of toast with it, but am now paranoid about getting listeria / miscarriage as I read you can get symptoms even a couple of months from eating it..! I know I am being paranoid but I’m always a worrier and overthink everything! hmm

NooNooHead Fri 27-Oct-17 19:19:43

Ooh now you have mr worrying even more! I’m getting an early scan next week as I had an ectopic in March, so they told me to have a scan around 6 weeks in my next pregnancy. I think my hormone levels must be pretty high too, as I recall my consultant said my hormone levels were really high after my blood tests for my ectopic, hence the need for surgery.

Gunpowder Fri 27-Oct-17 19:22:00

I wouldn’t worry about Listeria. There have been so few cases in the last 10 years and I think they were from bagged salad and supermarket sandwiches. I thought a

Gunpowder Fri 27-Oct-17 19:22:27

Whoops!

I thought a dark line was generally a good thing?

NooNooHead Fri 27-Oct-17 19:23:04

Ooh I eat bagged salad too, but always wash it thoroughly! I’m worrying even more now!

BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 19:33:01

I ate a massive plate of liver before I found out I was pregnant! After conception... With chillies and onions... sooo good.

You'll be fine! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now