Talk

Advanced search

well, that was a shock...

(20 Posts)
BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 15:03:48

Hello,
I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I've just found out I'm expecting twins. I'm extremely overwhelmed by the information right now! Half an hour ago I was just a regular pregnant lady waiting in the waiting room and I've walked out probably looking like I've been told I'm carrying baby llamas or something.
I've had no symptoms at all other than feeling tired, no sickness or anything. I've gained weight already but figured as it's my third pregnancy then it was normal to bloat quicker.

I don't really know why I've made this post, I guess I needed to tell somebody because other than OH and my children nobody knows I'm pregnant yet.

Has anybody else found out they're carrying twins after experiencing nothing out of the ordinary? And Isn't it weird I have had no symptoms to suggest I was having twins?

neversleepagain Fri 27-Oct-17 15:09:42

I know that feeling smile Went to my 12 week scan to be told I was having two babies! I also had no idea but with hindsight I was very sick, could feel my fundal height very clearly from week 6 and have never felt so tired in my entire life. Growing two placentas can do that to you!

Congratulations, my twins are 5 now.

putdownyourphone Fri 27-Oct-17 15:12:07

Oooh how exciting! I found out at 9 weeks I was having twins, but after being horrendously ill the dr suspected it. And she was right (I had dismissed her the entire time).

BUT I know lots of twins mums and a lot of them had no sickness or extreme tiredness.

2014newme Fri 27-Oct-17 15:15:44

I was never sick or nauseous once in my twin pregnancy. I was very tired from 9-12weeks though

RandomUsernameHere Fri 27-Oct-17 15:20:09

Congratulations!
Yes, I had absolutely no idea. It hadn't even crossed my mind I might be having twins, they don't run in my family and I didn't even really know anyone who had them. When the sonographer said "there's the second heartbeat" I didn't know what she was talking about for a moment, it took me a while to compute. So I can understand you feeling a bit overwhelmed!

RockinRobinTweets Fri 27-Oct-17 15:21:39

Congratulations! What a shock though shock grin

You're going to need a massive car!

JonSnowsWife Fri 27-Oct-17 15:23:55

The baby llamas comment made me laugh grin

A shock. But a lovely shock.

Congratulations OP. flowers 👶 👶

2014newme Fri 27-Oct-17 15:25:18

My top advice is get a trainee nursery nurse from your local college on placement

DeadDoorpost Fri 27-Oct-17 15:43:18

Mil never had any different symptoms (in fact she had no symptoms other than a missed period) to suggest she had twins. It was the only scan FiL missed as well... he didn't miss another one in case he cursed them again 😂😂

Herschellmum Fri 27-Oct-17 15:44:59

I was about 8 weeks ... had an early scan after a previous loss and was a complete shock. No idea.

Congratulations.

BigBaboonBum Fri 27-Oct-17 17:27:54

Thank you for the replies everyone. I still feel like it isn't real.
OH gets home in about 3 hours, he was the one who told me to go to stop me stabbing myself with my home Doppler and fretting I couldn't find a heartbeat... so this was supposed to be a "woooo! Look at our baby pictures. I feel so much better" and not "SURPRISE! THERES TWO!" 😶 .
I know he's going to be excited though! I know he won't fret in the slightest, it isn't in his nature - I fret for both of us. He's said to me on a couple occasions I must be having twins - noting my quick boob growth as evidence, which he found to be a very good scientific method and he swears by it apparently.

I think my main worry is being unable to give them the attention they need as babies, but my brain is probably just finding reasons to try induce me in some kind of anxiety coma or something

xxmissbrightsidexx Fri 27-Oct-17 17:31:50

What a fab surprise, congratulations 😊

Hulaballoo Fri 27-Oct-17 17:44:11

Awww congratulations!! I've secretly always wanted that surprise!! I'm sure your DH will be thrilled!! 😁

Expectingbsbunumber2 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:30:58

What a lovely surprise!! Congratulations

chocolateshortcake Fri 27-Oct-17 20:40:59

Congratulations! I know the feeling, early scan at 9 weeks and was told I was having twins. We were in shock for a while! I had barely even felt like I was pregnant let alone having two babies. Only got a few weeks to go now until they arrive and there's no mistaking being pregnant now 🙈

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sat 28-Oct-17 08:21:01

Congrats! 19w pg with twins here, still hasn't sunk in. Also had an early scan and got the whole "there's a HB.... and there's another one!"

I didn't believe the sonographer wasn't joking for about 5 minutes blush

lynmilne65 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:32:01

grinbiscuitflowersflowersblush

busyboysmum Sat 28-Oct-17 08:40:30

Congratulations 😊 happened to my nana back in 1942 as WW2 was in full swing. She already had 2 girls (one only 18 months) but no scans in those days so didn't know until she was giving birth (at home). The doctor apparently delivered my aunt then said to my nana "stop your moaning woman you've had your baby". My mum was still in there - breach! Obvs he did get her out and all was well. But she said she'd just get them settled and then the bombs would start and the sirens would wake them all up.....

dangle90 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:03:51

I know this feeling well! We booked an early scan for 10 weeks as I was convinced something was wrong... no symptoms, no sickness nothing..: so I expected to hear the worst, but instead got told it was twins!! Couldn’t believe it. Now almost 30 weeks pregnant with the little girls! grin

Pennywhistle Sat 28-Oct-17 15:08:49

I remember that feeling!

Twins are awesome (in every sense of the word!)

It’s hard work but you’ll feel sorry for everyone you see pushing a pram with only one baby in it. grin

Can so recommend two things:

*Go on the TAMBA website and find your nearest Teins and Multiples club. They welcome pregnant women and they’ll be a lifeline of advice and understanding once your babies arrive.

* get “Mothering Multiples” by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada. It’s particularly great if you are planning to breastfeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now