Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I stop taking aspirin?

(12 Posts)
ForeverHopeful21 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:57:17

I had a MC earlier this year which was in a word, horrific. I had complications and evened up being very ill for 4 months. Other than the emotionally difficulty, I found the physicality of what happened traumatising and decided I wanted to try everything possible to avoid it happening again.

I'm luckily pregnant again and decided after some (limited) research that I'd take 75mg aspirin throughout this pregnancy. I'm now 15 weeks and met with my consultant for the first time who seemed bemused at this decision. He said that I was wasting my time as its unlikely that I have any of the conditions that aspirin is prescribed for. He said that although aspirin is known to be relatively safe during pregnancy, everything comes with risks. This is now playing on my mind and I'm struggling to decide what is best?????

ChocolatePancake Fri 27-Oct-17 10:08:35

I can't give you answer of what to do but there are plenty of people who take aspirin during pregnancy and I've not heard a single risk or bad effect of a single one

ChocolatePancake Fri 27-Oct-17 10:08:47

Also congratulations flowers

Alexandra07 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:43:03

I personally wouldn't take any aspirin, unless my doctor thought I needed. According to this: www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Asprin/
There is no evidence that 75 mg aspirin will increase the chance of miscarriage and the research is inconclusive about reducing the risk of MC.
You don't know how aspirin will interfere with other medicines you may need to take. Your doctor knows your medical history and she is trained for the job. We are not! smile Why don't you ask the doctor more info about the risks?

StepAwayFromGoogle Fri 27-Oct-17 17:31:49

OP, I'm on aspirin after 3 early miscarriages over the last 14 months. On advice of a consultant. Not sure if it's what's made the difference but I'm 13 weeks now. The advice is to keep taking it until 34 weeks so it is out of your system before you give birth x

Tigger83 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:25:26

I saw my consultant at 16 weeks having had 2 miscarriages in the past and sheepishly told him I’d been taking 75mg aspirin and he said I’d obviously looked into it and it’s what he would have prescribed had I had a third miscarriage and to keep taking it until 36 weeks.

StepAwayFromGoogle Sat 28-Oct-17 09:28:35

Now I'm thinking it might be 36 weeks like Tigger83 said. Must pay more attention.

StepAwayFromGoogle Sat 28-Oct-17 09:32:32

I should probably add that I don't have any of the conditions aspirin is normally prescribed for either. Sticky blood has already been ruled out. BUT studies suggest aspirin reduces miscarriage anyway. They aren't sure why but think it may be something to do with increasing blood flow to the uterus.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 28-Oct-17 09:34:15

I think it is sometimes said you shouldn't take it in the first 12 weeks (though lots of people do on medical advice). But you're past that. I was advised to take it from 12 weeks as it reduces the risk of pre-eclampsia. I will say that I have avoided taking meds generally during pregnancy unless advised or OK'd by the midwife/consultant. But there are definitely medical reasons for some people taking it during pregnancy.

obviouslymarvellous Sat 28-Oct-17 09:42:47

I took aspirin with a singleton and twins after a horrendous mmc at 23 weeks, had numerous tests as the placenta failed and was ill for months. I was closely monitored at hosp by consultant, and scanned every week to keep an eye on things. The aspirin I felt def helped other than the fact I had awful nosebleeds and I took it right up until week before delivery for Singleton and a couple days before for twins (had to have section due to iugr and ttts) my consultant was all for the aspirin x

obviouslymarvellous Sat 28-Oct-17 09:43:28

Forgot to add I took it straight from finding out around 6 weeks x

ForeverHopeful21 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:39:40

Thank you, your replies have put my mind at ease and for now I've decided to continue taking it. The consultant didn't tell me to stop, I think I just keep having little panics along the way and can't believe that I'm still pregnant smile

Alexandra07 unfortunately doctors don't always get it right and after an official complain raised against two senior medical professionals I have very little faith in the NHS. I received an apology when an investigation found that I was treated poorly and guidelines weren't followed. Like I said, my experience left me extremely ill and traumatised and most of it was down to the (lack of) care that I received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now