Talk

Advanced search

19 weeks, severe pain in lower abdomen, call the midwife or put it down to gas?

(21 Posts)
SundayLunchHappy Fri 27-Oct-17 09:44:31

What it's says on the tin really.

First pregnancy so nothing else to compare it to.

Woke around 6am and when dh went to cuddle me I shrieked at him to remove his arm from my tummy. Found I had so much pain/pressure on my lower right side I couldn't actually sit up without help.

Fast forward 3.5 hours and I've been able to bring my legs up to try and deflate... nothing much to write home about there. No relief when trying to go to the loo. Just had a warm bath which was soothing, but am still hobbling around clutching my tummy.

Is this just a bad case of well and truly trapped wind or worth phoning about? For the most part of this pregnancy I've had a pretty "what will be will be" attitude, owing to disbelief we actually managed to conceive. Now I've felt the tiny human move, I'm questioning every twitch and anxious to be sure he/she is okay.

QuestionableMouse Fri 27-Oct-17 09:47:03

Midwife! Even if you get checked and it's wind, you know what is going on.

ChocolatePancake Fri 27-Oct-17 09:49:09

Definitely midwife. Loads of pregnant ladies go in for wind, so even if it is wind... they'll be used to it

SundayLunchHappy Fri 27-Oct-17 10:12:44

So my local midwife phone number is switched off. Should I ring the pregnancy assessment unit? Really don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill but also still very uncomfortable.

QuestionableMouse Fri 27-Oct-17 10:14:07

Yes, keep trying until you get an answer. Hope everything is okay!

SundayLunchHappy Fri 27-Oct-17 10:22:17

Have been told I need to either get my gp to refer me in or go to a and e, really!!

cakesandphotos Fri 27-Oct-17 10:25:36

That’s not great! Our local maternity unit is 24 hours. I would be pushing

Rebeccaslicker Fri 27-Oct-17 10:35:23

Hopefully just wind but if in doubt, ask your mw. If you can't get the mw, can you go down to the EPU at all?

a tip for trapped wind in pregnancy that is ludicrous but works - get on all 4's, wrists, elbows and shoulders in a straight line, knees under hips etc. Then make figure of 8's with your hips, dipping as low and high as you can.

Make sure you're home alone unless your other half enjoys volleys of farts!!!

BeansMrSeanAndHeinz Fri 27-Oct-17 10:39:39

Definitely get it checked - the pregnancy assessment unit or triage at the maternity section should be open.
I walked straight into the pregnancy assessment unit near work (ie not the one I was booked in to have the baby) for bleeding and stomach ache which turned out to be constipation but they were very reassuring. Hope you get it sorted.

SundayLunchHappy Fri 27-Oct-17 10:44:38

Bit tearful mainly because I'm so peed off. Can't get to see a gp (naturally) and the on call ones can't see pregnant woman for some ludicrous reason. Have now been told by early pregnancy unit and gp reception that the only way I can get in is via a&e.

local midwife phone still switched off with no voicemail and and pregnancy assement have a peremantly busy line.

Going to try and walk around the block and see if anything is releieved and if not I guess I'm going to have to try and drive myself to a&e feeling like a complete timewasting moron buffoon because I've exhausted all options I've been given.

SundayLunchHappy Fri 27-Oct-17 10:46:12

Sorry for awful spelling, now also having a panic about who the f I'm meant to call when I'm actually full term and go into labour.

GoldenWorld Fri 27-Oct-17 10:54:00

It might be because you're under 20 weeks - some maternity units don't see women under 20 weeks because it's still classed as early pregnancy, in which case you fall under gynae.

Go to A&E, there's nothing wrong with showing up there!

YorkieDorkie Fri 27-Oct-17 10:55:13

Get yourself to A&E OP. On your green notes there should be the correct number to call for your out or hours maternity service. I'd be majorly disappointed in your midwife if out of hours numbers haven't been provided.

GoldenWorld Fri 27-Oct-17 10:56:02

And it's normal policy to go via A&E to be seen by gynae/EPAU. Don't be embarrassed about going, it's what they're there for, they see loads of pregnant women.

LaBelleSausage Fri 27-Oct-17 11:04:04

Go to A&E. It would be too early for the maternity team in my neck of the woods but A&E will point you in the right direction.
Good luck, I really hope everything is ok

Expectingbsbunumber2 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:09:49

My maternity unit is 24 hours!

Rebeccaslicker Fri 27-Oct-17 12:47:43

Yep, absolutely right OP - a&e it is until you're about 22 weeks - a&e will check your stats and then send you up to EPU. Do NOT feel like a time waster. If it's severe pain, it needs to be checked out.

Lots of luck. Hope it's nothing!!!

southeastlondonmum Fri 27-Oct-17 13:43:59

I had an appendix while pregnant with my first child. No one believed me until the Consultant came in and felt my stomach and I nearly hit hi--m --and screamed louder than the woman who was crowning next door. Midwives completely dismissed me. I was literally sprinted to the operating theatre. You know what bad pain feels like . Best wishes Claire

BusterGonad Fri 27-Oct-17 18:20:08

How are you Op?

SundayLunchHappy Fri 27-Oct-17 20:32:45

Hello! Thanks so much for the encouragement. Ended up seeing an out of hours doctor via a&e.

All tenderness and pain appears to be coming from outside the uterus and therefore the suggested possible diagnosis is spd.

Still feeling incredibly uncomfortable, but much happier to know it's just my body, not baby.

YorkieDorkie Sat 28-Oct-17 17:05:53

Brilliant news OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now