Advanced search

Morning sickness and work

(9 Posts)
Lilleahw Fri 27-Oct-17 09:41:28

Hi everyone. I'm only 5 weeks but morning sickness has started already. Yesterday I called in sick and just spent a day in bed, today I rang back to tell them the reason I'm off. After giving me congratulations told me they'd covered my shifts upto Monday. Then 10mins later they called back to say I need a doctor's note to prove its pregnancy related, other wise it goes down as an item. Does this sound right? When I was a manager in my old job we just took the employees word?

LadyRenoir Fri 27-Oct-17 17:06:08

Depends on the regulations of the workplace perhaps- where I I can self-certify being unwell for 5 days maximum, anything over that I need a doctor's note. So if you can, see if you can see a GP, but maybe also ask them for employees handbook, as it should have such things mentioned in there.

Hairgician Fri 27-Oct-17 17:36:43

Think they mean it goes on your sick absence record if not down as pregnancy related. If you can, get your go to do a sidenote to say it pregnancy related. I know in my last office job, they didn't do anything 're disciplinary stuff til you return to work (obv if pregnancy stuff we just had a back to work interview where they asked how you were and any adjustments etc, you were told at that meeting no further action as pregnancy related)

Hairgician Fri 27-Oct-17 17:37:28

LadyRenoir Fri 27-Oct-17 18:37:38

It would probably count as sick leave anyway- but maybe what they meant it would be leave of absence if no evidence it's medical?
Best to clarify with the employer, as each may have different rules regarding

Ameliablue Fri 27-Oct-17 18:47:58

Pregnancy related sickness is recorded separately to normal pregnancy as you are protected against any disciplinary measures. At such an early stage, there isn't any real proof of pregnancy, the doctor may be willing to write a note but even that is meaningless really as they generally take your word that you've tested positive.

Ameliablue Fri 27-Oct-17 18:48:54

I meant pregnancy sickness is recorded separately to normal sickness.

insancerre Fri 27-Oct-17 18:51:34

Pregnancy related sickness is treated differently to normal sickness absence
You have more rights so it's good that your employer wants to record it as pregnancy related

Lilleahw Fri 27-Oct-17 19:28:38

Thanks guys, I'll have a chat when I do my return to work and stop overthinking it lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now