Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Health visitor

(16 Posts)
gosteady Thu 26-Oct-17 19:26:47

Have just had a letter to say the health visitor is coming to visit (due in 3 weeks). What does this visit usually entail?

Expectingbsbunumber2 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:38:52

I have mine coming next week. Think it's just a general chat to see how you are, see if you need any support with anything.

Roxx1516 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:52:52

When do they start to see you ?? X

ChocolatePancake Thu 26-Oct-17 20:14:43

Mine never started until after I gave birth, but they usually just see what support you want... or they're supposed to. I absolutely hated mine!

ChocolatePancake Thu 26-Oct-17 20:14:56

(But loved the one before)

gosteady Thu 26-Oct-17 20:38:27

Roxx...she’s coming to my house 2 weeks before my due date. I live in NI so maybe it’s different over here?

Kentnurse2015 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:39:46

Mine came a few weeks before DS was born - he arrived the next day!

I didn't have anyone when my daughter was born a couple of years before

Silverthorn Thu 26-Oct-17 20:43:26

Just wants to check your not living in a crack den, check where baby is sleeping, inform you of safe sleeping, help with any questions you may have. No need to worry unless you live in a crack den wink

Silverthorn Thu 26-Oct-17 20:43:42

*you're

tamepanda Thu 26-Oct-17 20:44:09

They’ve changed it the visits now so that they meet you before you have the baby. I had mine at 32 weeks - it’s just to give you information about the support they offer, help and services they can provide.

Also means you can actually process some of the stuff they are telling you / advising you on while you don’t have a crying newborn and being completely exhausted.

Ropsleybunny Thu 26-Oct-17 20:47:20

They like to meet you before your baby is born so they can check how clean your house is. Just joking! It's just so you know who they are and what services they offer.

IndianaMoleWoman Thu 26-Oct-17 20:47:50

They just want to give you some information and support. We have an excellent health visiting team here. Mine didn’t bat an eyelid when I ran off to vomit in the kitchen sink mid-chat. Remember, if you don’t want them, you don’t have to engage with them, but I’ve always found them useful. Maybe write a list of questions in advance.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:49:37

@roxx1516 I will be 32 weeks next when my health visitor comes

ashaj92 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:02:55

We had our ‘antenatal’ HV home visit today. I’m 39 weeks today. She was really lovely, asked how we were both feeling prior to baby’s arrival, a few health questions like if we smoke, drink, issues with mental health etc.. it was more just like an informal chat and a bit of advice, getting to know us so when she meets baby at that first new birth visit it feels a bit more familiar. 😊

Ropsleybunny Thu 26-Oct-17 23:01:46

Just in case you don't know, Health visitors are qualified nurses who have done extra training and a degree. They are able to write prescriptions for babies and can refer for a range of things such as hearing tests, speech and language, paediatricians and problems with eyes.

DeadDoorpost Thu 26-Oct-17 23:38:47

HV also gave me the baby's red book, explained about sepsis, SIDS, post natal depression and the GP visits etc as well. We have an extra vigilant talk about making sure you don't lose your tether when the baby is in its first weeks etc here where I love because there's been a rather sad death if a baby where the parent didn't mean to kill the baby but they did. They were exhausted and just shook the baby without thinking and yeah. So I also got that whole "be careful, walk away, take a breath, go back when you're calm" because they don't want it to happen again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now