Talk

Advanced search

Hand hold...

(66 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 13:07:43

Hey.

Just back from midwife appointment and I'm measuring 3 weeks behind, there's been no change in my bump since my last appointment.

I've also been very damp and needing liners plus the midwife said my bump was really tight/solid...which I completely agree with as it's been uncomfortable and a little sore for a week or so. (I put it down to BH and my SPD)

Midwife is concerned that my fluid could be reduced?

So I'm now sat at home waiting on the hospital calling me... DP at work so I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs. Midwife has asked hospital for a scan today but advised me it could be early tomorrow morning.

Baby is moving fine, if anything movement has been more pronounced in the last week. I can now visually see the whole bump move. Plus the HB is OK, higher than last time but still in range.

I'm 36 weeks, measuring 33 weeks. Last time I was checked I was 33+1 week and measuring 33 weeks dead on. Bump has always been "right" size give or take a day or two. At 30 weeks baby measured 2lbs 8oz on a fluid scan (I was in a accident so got checked) and fluid was "great"... Was told then that they'd expect baby to be 3lbs+ by then but they weren't concerned.

I think I'm just asking for a hand hold until DP gets home... (I can't even call anyone as need to keep the line free) What happens with reduced fluid or small baby at these scans? (My brain went off at my appointment)

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 13:37:21

cake
brew

Annamadrigal Thu 26-Oct-17 13:42:52

Hi, I can't offer any advice but I'm here for a hand hold flowers I hope you can get a scan today and that everything is checked out flowers

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 13:48:50

I might have an anxiety attack if I don't hear soon...seriously being on your own is rubbish after this kinda thing. my DP is like the logical side of my brain.

Blueroses99 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:55:17

So sorry that you're going through this alone. Movement and HB are a great sign. Delivering early may be a possibility but at your gestation there isn't too much to worry about (easier said than done I know, I had a preemie in NICU, but you may avoid NICU/SCBU altogether as another friend did with a small baby).

Oly5 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:56:57

When the hospital calls, tell them you’re really worried and please can you have a scan today? Explain about the liners.
Sending a virtual hug. Xx

Annamadrigal Thu 26-Oct-17 13:58:19

It is awful when you have to go be on your own in these situations. I'd imagine that 36 weeks is a pretty decent time if they have to act. My DS was born at 36+3 and they class 37 as full term. You are having movements which is great. I think they struggle with measuring baby with these scans (they were 2lb out with DS!) but hopefully they can asses and take any action needed.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 13:58:54

I just hope they call today, my anxiety is making my discomfort worse.

Would it be inappropriate for me to call them if I don't hear from them in a hour or so?

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 14:00:19

And thank you all.

I also can't drive at the moment due to a injury so I kinda need to know in advance when they want to see me.

MarmiteandToast Thu 26-Oct-17 14:01:21

I think you can call them - just in case they've not got round to looking at it yet etc and so you know that they know it's urgent.

So sorry you have this worry and will be thinking of you

Cantchooseaname Thu 26-Oct-17 14:01:56

I'd call them- worst they can say is 'you shouldn't call, we'll call you.' You will be no worse off. Polite and worried- I'm sure it would be fine.

pippanippa Thu 26-Oct-17 14:02:44

So sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.

We've had a similar scare recently (my bump has always been behind but recently dropped to about 6 weeks off. A scan at 32 weeks then showed baby to be very small, so they were worried about IUGR). In our case we were sent for weekly monitoring, fortnightly dr's check ups and had another scan at 35 weeks to compare baby's size, check fluid and doppler again. In our case the result of that scan was positive, baby is small but growing - so possibly just a blip. We are still going for weekly monitoring, and awaiting another chat with the Dr to discuss what all this means, but things feel much more positive. I hope this is a little bit reassuring for you. The worry is absolutely awful. I really hope you're able to get the scan soon to ease the stress and hopefully give you some reassurance.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 14:04:07

I'll give them a call.

Just thinking my local hospital normally has their last appointment around 5/6ish so times running out for today.

pippanippa Thu 26-Oct-17 14:04:34

Silly me onnatures i didn't recognise your name from the HG thread until now, so you probably already know my long-winded story!

TheVanguardSix Thu 26-Oct-17 14:07:38

flowers I really hope your situation ends up like mine!

At 35 weeks, DS was measuring small and I was losing amniotic fluid. It was very low. I was advised to go home and drink water. I hooked my mouth up to the faucet and guzzled!

I improved my fluid levels but was told at the scan that DS would be tiny, 5lbs at term.

He was born at 40 weeks, nearly 9 lbs. What a relief and shock! Even the midwife was surprised! That was 16 years ago and I can still feel the panic when I learned he was appearing not to thrive. I just sat in my car sobbing with worry.
He's upstairs right now playing video games instead of revising for exams!

The scan will answer all of your questions and IF baby is showing signs of distress, you can deliver a healthy baby at 36-37 weeks. It's pretty much considered full term.

Drink your water! flowers I am sending you every positive vibe and healthy wishes!!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 14:12:02

Called hospital and have been told I'm unlikely to be seen today or tomorrow so it'll be next week

I explained about possible fluid loss etc and they've said they'll speak to the sonographer and get back to me. (But no timescales given!)

😥

welshweasel Thu 26-Oct-17 14:14:51

Honestly, if you're worried you're leaking amniotic fluid you need to speak to maternity triage, tell them that you're concerned your waters have broken and ask for a review today. Be pushy if you have to.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 14:18:48

The thought hadn't crossed my mind, I mentioned it to my midwife (new, I've just moved to her area) and I said I thought it was just crazy discharge and "one of those things" but she asked if it ever smelt sweet which I said yes to... It was then she said she'd be concerned if it was as it had been going on a while on/off. She then felt my bump and commented it was hard and tense etc, after that she noted it measured small... Everything combined she decided to refer me.

welshweasel Thu 26-Oct-17 14:19:51

It will probably turn out to be nothing, but you're clearly worried so you need to be seen.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 14:24:28

I'll wait to see what they come up with. I guess if the hospital is in no hurry then they aren't that worried

Hulaballoo Thu 26-Oct-17 14:24:37

I would push to be seen today... Leaking fluid, concerned bump is hard etc... Hope you get seen today xxx

RandomUsernameHere Thu 26-Oct-17 14:26:06

As others have said, you are only one week off full term so try not to worry. Good luck!

mindutopia Thu 26-Oct-17 14:29:02

It's good they are taking it seriously and getting you checked. I'm assuming she checked baby and heart rate and movements are normal, which should be a positive sign. I would try not to worry in the meantime. It's very, very normal for bump measurements to decrease when baby drops and it's not unusual for baby to drop around now, which could absolutely explain the difference in the measurements. Lots of extra discharge can also be normal right at the end. I had so much clear discharge right before I went into labour. It was so much that I thought I had some sort of infection because I was getting so wet just like that. In retrospect, after the very worst day of it I went into labour that night (only 37 weeks), I suspect it was probably my cervix starting to thin and mucus production kicking up before labour started as my hormones changed. But it's good to get it checked. The good thing is you are nearly term, so that's positive if baby decides to come soon.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 14:37:40

Earliest they can see me is tomorrow so just need to wait, and try take my mind off it xx

Annamadrigal Thu 26-Oct-17 14:39:56

I'd ring again just to reassure myself if nothing else. If it's the hind waters they can trickle out slowly and continuously (not meaning to scaremonger, just talking from my own experience and they decided to induce me) Maybe your midwife could refer you or push the matter on your behalf?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now