Talk

Advanced search

Vitamin recommendations

(14 Posts)
Hulaballoo Thu 26-Oct-17 06:59:38

Hi! I'm currently on folic acid, vitamin c, zinc and vitamin D (all separate tablets) I've just found out I'm pregnant. Do I need a more comprehensive supplement now? Do I keep doing what I'm on? I'm on a pretty healthy diet. Can you recommend any good prenatal vitamins please? Thank you x

Bubblesblue Thu 26-Oct-17 07:05:33

You're taking all the ones you need, I think. I started on pregnacare for peace of mind/ all in one but switched to seven seas pregnancy vits after bad nausea seemingly linked with pregnacare.

Oh & congratulations!

Ktown Thu 26-Oct-17 07:06:08

Iodine is important in pregnancy so it might be worth supplementing that.
Low iodine levels can cause thyroid problems and are linked to low IQ and poor reading age later on.

gamerpigeon Thu 26-Oct-17 07:14:02

I took Seven Seas as much for me as the baby as I had struggled with severe morning sickness in the first 15 weeks and was worried about both of us getting deficiencies. I found pregnacare made me feel really sick.

Hulaballoo Thu 26-Oct-17 07:22:51

Great thank you, I'll look at seven seas. @Ktown I never knew that good to know. I'll look at which food are iodine rich too. X

Ktown Thu 26-Oct-17 07:49:24

I think sea salt and milk (Not organic) are iodine rich and seaweed. congrats!

Hulaballoo Thu 26-Oct-17 08:50:36

Thanks @Ktown we only use sea salt at home so yay, but we have organic milk... I think the multivitamin will have it in too 😁

JoJoSM2 Thu 26-Oct-17 08:53:29

I'd be very careful with iodine supplements. It's very rare for people to be deficient and taking supplements can actually give you thyroid problems. If there's a bit in a multi then that's ok but I wouldn't take a separate supplements for it.

A healthy diet and a pregnancy multivitamin should do the trick. I'd also add omega 3 but look out for the type with high DHA and EPA. Also make sure it hasn't got vit A (so basically a proper omega 3 supplement and not some cod liver oil etc).

BexleyRae Thu 26-Oct-17 08:58:30

Pregnacare made me feel sick, I took separate folic acid, vitamin d, vitamin b complex (apparently helps with sickness) and iron. All taken with one of those fizzy vitamin c tablets that you put in water

Hulaballoo Thu 26-Oct-17 09:03:27

Thanks @JoJoSM2 I wouldn't take iodine separately 🙂 did you stick to separates @BexleyRae? X

PipsM Thu 26-Oct-17 09:06:17

The only ones that do not make me feel really nauseous are the Tesco multiplus pregnancy multivitamins. I bought 90 of the boots ones and the coating makes me retch immediately. That was a waste of money!!! The Tesco ones come in 30s and were on buy 2 get 1 free deal.
They still are like slightly smaller horse pills so I kept a stash of folic acid to have on its own if I was feeling extra sick.

filou87 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:13:58

I took Cytoplan Pregnacare while ttc and have continued in my pregnancy. It is one of the only ones I found which contains natural folic acid, not synthetic. The Cytoplan website regularly do 3 for 2 across their range. The pills are quite big and are not coated though, however you can break them in half I think.

Hulaballoo Thu 26-Oct-17 09:51:29

Great thank you @filou87 @PipsM that's good to know @filou87 as I'm on folate rather than folic acid which I prefer so I'll check the cytoplan too. X

BexleyRae Thu 26-Oct-17 10:53:01

Hi @Hullaballoo yup I stuck to taking them all separately, I felt like I was rattling with all the tablets though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: