Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please reassure me - lying on back?

(16 Posts)
FindingNemoandDory Wed 25-Oct-17 21:38:45

I'm 18 weeks and laid flat on my back earlier for around 40 minutes for an beauty appointment

I think I have started feeling little kicks and flutters recently. When on my back I am sure I felt the baby a few times which I thought was because I was lying down and everything was sort of nearer to the surface iyswim

I've since read that lying on back is contraindicated in pregnancy and now I'm worried baby was in distress? I've not felt anything since but if I am feeling baby it's usually sporadic anyway!

FindingNemoandDory Wed 25-Oct-17 21:39:09

Meant to say - has anyone else laid on back for this sort of period and all was fine?!

RhinoGirl Wed 25-Oct-17 21:40:42

I remember being told not to sleep on my back when pregnant but I can’t remember why?
I’m sure 40 minutes would be fine smile

KalaLaka Wed 25-Oct-17 21:41:56

Lying on your back is fine for your baby. It can make you feel sick or dizzy later on in pregnancy, that's all. I used to lie on my back for midwife appointments!

Jessiecat27 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:42:24

I've had long scans lying on my back and sometimes I still sleep on my back so try not to worry! (:

MrsPan Wed 25-Oct-17 21:43:07

Think it’s more to do with sleep- plus you’ll have signs if it’s not good. I had a student dr at my 20 week scan with the consultant ... after 20 mins lying on my back I nearly fainted!

oneoffnamechange123 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:48:42

It's because the weight of the baby presses against one of your major blood vessels (I forget which one!) which makes you feel dizzy. There is nothing bad for the baby, just not ideal for you. You would definitely know about it very quickly if the blood vessel was cut off though, and would move pretty sharpish to change your position!

Lozmatoz Wed 25-Oct-17 21:48:58

I’m 33 weeks and wake up on my back alllllll the time.

Julesbegone Wed 25-Oct-17 21:53:10

When you lie belly-up, the weight of your uterus can compress a major blood vessel, called the vena cava, disrupting blood flow to your baby and leaving you nauseated, dizzy, and short of breath.

ImSoUnoriginal Wed 25-Oct-17 21:59:34

I slept on my back a lot as it was one of the most comfortable positions. Did become a bit less comfy right towards the end but no problems with baby. 40mins won't hurt either of you, I'm sure.

Soon2bemum2017 Wed 25-Oct-17 23:00:56

I was told by my midwife not to worry about this until about 26-28 weeks when baby starts weighing enough to put pressure on the blood flow etc

I had a massage at 37 weeks which meant i laid on my back for about 45 mins (i was stupid not to say anything to the woman) and when i got up i had a headache felt sick and lightheaded etc. However even then we were both fine! But i wouldn't suggest you do this when you are so close to term.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Oct-17 02:12:39

I'm 36 weeks and still wake up on my back. My midwife has said if baby is in distress they'll kick hard enough to move you. It's all about the weight on your blood supply etc, at 18 weeks I doubt the weight would be enough to cause distress. I felt my first movements when on my back, didn't feel any when on my side or standing until much later in my pregnancy, x,

Swan8 Thu 26-Oct-17 06:55:59

Like others have said - it is about you rather than the baby as it may make you feel unwell. But it used to be thought that it cuts out blood supply to the baby - my understanding is that they no longer believe that is the case at all, and as others have said in any event if there was an issue your body would let you know! But that is why there is still some “old” and contradictory advice floating around out there. But if you are ever worried call the midwife line at your hospital - hearing it from them will no doubt be a lot more reassuring than from a bunch of Mumsnet people.

LadyRenoir Thu 26-Oct-17 08:18:28

I know someone who is 38 weeks pregnant and sleeps on her back with no issues, it can make you feel dizzy, but not bad for the baby. If you're fine lying down, all will be well.

jellypi3 Thu 26-Oct-17 08:25:18

Try not to worry, this is more something to be mindful of in your 3rd trimester when the baby starts to get bigger.

FindingNemoandDory Thu 26-Oct-17 13:56:46

Thank you everyone! Feeling reassured but glad I know for the future

I'm sure people must sleep on their backs for longer without ill effect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now