Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 weeks breech baby offered ECV

(24 Posts)
cheekymummy89 Wed 25-Oct-17 10:40:22

Hi, well I’m currently 38+5 and baby is breech, head under left ribs, spine curved down right side, bottom down and feet coming up to near babies face. Consultant us booked me in for a ecv for tomorrow lunch time, as I literally broke down in her room yesturday when I was told of his position. This is my 3rd baby and I hoped for this one to go as smoothly as the others did but he’s obviously got other ideas lol. Anyway has anyway had a ecv this close to 39 weeks and it been successful? The consultant wasn’t very informative except she told me the success rate is about 50% and that obviously if it doesn’t work il have a section either same day or day after depending on the ge outcome. I’m desperate to do it vaginally again, but at the same time I’m absolutely petrified of tomorrow. I have read all the risks that are associated with an ecv and from what I understand it’s more successful with women that have had more than one baby. I had my last baby July 2016 so I’m hoping there’s a good chance of this little man turning tomorrow. Just trying to find some positive answers really and how it went
Tia

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Wed 25-Oct-17 10:50:27

I had an ECV 13 years ago. It hurt like hell, didn’t have any effect, and I had her by Caesarian.

I have since had 2 vaginal births.

I would not have an ECV again, personally.

Hairgician Wed 25-Oct-17 11:04:34

I've never had one but after reading about risks etc success rate I personally wouldn't. I would take the cs.

Good luck either way. Not too long til you are having snuggles with baby😀

shesthemama Wed 25-Oct-17 22:51:27

In my experience the ecv was the most painful thing I’ve ever gone through, babies head was stuck between my ribs so ended up with a section. I wouldn’t chose to have an ecv ever again but that is just my experience! Hopefully you have a better one!!

TakeMe2Insanity Thu 26-Oct-17 06:11:01

I had an ecv, it was quite horrible in that it made me nearly faint but breaking my foot was more painful. With hindsight I'd go straight with a csection.

Guardup Thu 26-Oct-17 06:39:54

I was in excactly the same position as you a few days ago at 39 weeks. Luckily my baby had turned when I went in for the evc procedure (which, I had decided to turn down once I got there). I’m back in today to make sure she hasn’t moved back to transverse, but I’ve agreed with the consultant that if she has I’ll be admittted and monitored until Labour happens naturally or she has moved and then I’ll be induced. I don’t think she has moved though so hopefully still head down. The relief was overwhelming as it’s such a difficult decision and I’m glad I didn’t have to make it. Best of luck x

INeedNewShoes Thu 26-Oct-17 06:48:23

I had an ECV in May though at 37+5.

It was uncomfortable but not painful.

I had concerns about the risks having read some threads on here about it. I asked my consultant to tell me the stats for my hospital and she said the consultant who does the ECVs there had a clean record.

There are different approaches to ECV and if the doctor is too forceful then bad things can happen but my consultant who did mine was careful and not willing to take any risks when the first few nudges had no effect.

If I were in this situation again I would give the ECV a go again.

SandLand Thu 26-Oct-17 06:52:37

DS2 was breech at 36. I asked about vaginal breech birth. Midwife was supportive. Thankfully he turned, but that could be a third possibility.

Icallbullshit3 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:49:06

I had one with my daughter at about 35 weeks. Hurt like hell and was unsuccessful. They tried three times and all times she went straight back. I hope you have more luck!

Mummyme87 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:53:19

Those who have successful ECVs tend to report better experiences, less painful. I work on a delivery suite and see a lot of ECVs. In 12years in my hospital I am aware of one with a complication

niknac1 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:57:46

I had one, I felt uncomfortable but no pain. It was successful and our baby didn’t turn again.

cheekymummy89 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:34:26

Well I didn’t need the ecv as my little man decided he wanted to make his appearance at just fine 2 this morning lol. Ended up with an emergency c section as I was 6cm dilated on arrival. But he’s here now safe and well and I’m just feeling a little uncomfortable and tired. Xxx

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 26-Oct-17 11:41:16

Aww, congratulations. I hope you are both well.

Guardup Thu 26-Oct-17 13:37:22

What lovely news - congratulations x

megletthesecond Thu 26-Oct-17 13:42:24

Congrats! flowers Glad he's arrived safe and sound. Take care of yourself, don't do too much for a couple of weeks and take all the pain relief offered. You'll feel more comfortable in a few days.

megletthesecond Thu 26-Oct-17 13:42:34

Congrats! flowers Glad he's arrived safe and sound. Take care of yourself, don't do too much for a couple of weeks and take all the pain relief offered. You'll feel more comfortable in a few days.

Thiswayorthatway Thu 26-Oct-17 13:48:38

Congrats OP! I had an ECV at your stage with DC2 and whilst it hurt a little, baby turned and was delivered naturally.

INeedNewShoes Thu 26-Oct-17 14:17:32

Wow - great update! What lovely news smile

Congratulations!

Frazzled2207 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:02:58

Ah congratulations pleased all is well

Doublechocolatetiffin Thu 26-Oct-17 15:06:53

Oh I'm glad your baby arrived safe and sound. I was going to speak positively of ECVs and thought I might add my experience in case anyone else reads this. I had one at 41 weeks (they missed that she was breech until then). I relaxed using hypnobirthing and she was turned in 5 mins. A bit uncomfortable, but not overly painful. Overall a very positive experience for me.

cheekymummy89 Thu 26-Oct-17 22:34:05

Thankyou everyone, still very much in shock but happy he’s here. It’s been a lovely relaxed day considering the soreness. But I’m just enjoying our new little bundle, excited for my other 2 boys to meet him tomorrow afternoon. I just want to add that before last night anything to do with Cesarean sections I was absolutely petrified of, when I was given the info on breech delivery vs cs I knew deep down that cs was my best bet. Ok I’m not going to lie, anything needles im a wuss, so when they put the cannula in a screamed like a baby, same with the anti sickness in my leg and again with the spinal lol. But surprising enough I was calm as anything during the cs and was lay there chatting and joking with dh, who looked more scared than me haha. So all in all even though I had a emergency c section I found the whole experience a positive one and I wouldn not brush the option off again having experienced it first hand. Here’s to a long and slow recovery xxxx

INeedNewShoes Fri 27-Oct-17 01:17:57

Glad to hear your C-section was so positive. I, like you, was upset to have to have one but I also found it to be a wonderful experience. There are definite pros to it!

If you're sensible you can hopefully have a smooth recovery. I found that messing around with the wound as little as possible to be the best course of action. I just washed it by running water over it in the shower. No awkward twisting/lifting. You'll have to be strict with yourself about this!

I was fine and signed off to drive by 4 weeks!

Enjoy your gorgeous newborn. It's such a lovely time smile

oldlaundbooth Fri 27-Oct-17 01:54:30

Great news, huge congratulations op flowers

eeanne Fri 27-Oct-17 07:38:17

Congrats OP. I knew my baby was breech from 30 weeks and from research I turned down ECV. I also cried and was so disappointed about having a c-section, but at the end of the day what matters is a healthy baby - and the statistics do show that CS is safer than breech vaginal delivery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now