Talk

Advanced search

Canesten pessary

(13 Posts)
Muse84 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:14:18

I am certain I have thrush (had it in the past) and am concerned that at 39wks pregnant, I could pass it to baby during labour, which I know isn't disastrous but does have potential consequences with breastfeeding etc. Plus, sorry for the excess info, but it's really sore when I try a gentle perineal massage, so god knows what a baby's head would feel like (beyond "normal" pain!)

So, all I want to know is, has anyone used pessary under GP or midwife advice this late in pregnancy? I understand not to use applicator etc. I just want to know simply whether it has been recommended by healthcare professionals. (I cannot get into see mine this week and I'm concerned that by the time I do, it'll be too late!)

Thanks

Tedster77 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:15:26

It's fine. I was prescribed it.

Pompatrol Tue 24-Oct-17 22:16:35

Yes I was prescribed it a few data before my due date, you poor thing, get it sorted flowers

Pompatrol Tue 24-Oct-17 22:16:47

Days

Pompatrol Tue 24-Oct-17 22:19:02

Sorry for multiple posts, have you actually said what it is and the due date when you rang the surgery? I got a call back and prescription about 5 minutes after my call when it happened to me. Good luck.

OrchidShmorchid Tue 24-Oct-17 22:19:15

Yes I used it the day before I had an induction! I was in agony, and desperate! I also used vaginal ph balancing gel tubes from boots which helped too. I was still sore and uncomfortable during the induction but midwife said the waters wash away the nasty stuff and my baby was fine.

Namethecat Tue 24-Oct-17 22:20:00

Live yoghurt up there. Usually a yoghurt soaked tampon does the job but I'm not sure would be comfy at your stage. Try with you fingers ( possibly )

Muse84 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:21:58

Thanks all for your advice- no I didn't mention specifics to surgery, perhaps I should have! I'll try treatment tonight. Have a 40wk midwife appt on mon if I make it that far! smile

Pompatrol Tue 24-Oct-17 22:25:56

Hope it works and gives you some relief, there are other things they may be able to give you if you’re sore so you could always ring again if needs be.
Exciting times! Wishing you all the best for the safe arrival of your baby!

GruffaloPants Tue 24-Oct-17 22:34:24

Yes, my obstetric clinic had a box to give out.

Muse84 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:36:11

Thanks again- you're all very helpful and reassuring!

user1484167681 Wed 25-Oct-17 06:55:22

Do it!!!! (That's not medical advice..) I've been suffering with thrush for MONTHS and using the cream to no avail, tried the peasant (needed the applicator to insert as was too sore for finger, but only put it in halfway) and was cured essentially overnight. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Hope you feel better soon!

mindutopia Wed 25-Oct-17 10:52:21

I used one about 36 hours before I went into labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now