Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Healthy start vitamins

(4 Posts)
Jjaammyy Tue 24-Oct-17 22:09:02

Hi! I’m around 8 weeks pregnant and had my booking in appointment today. All very straightforward and exciting! Up until now I’d been taking Pregnacare Max (2 horse tranquilliser style pills and a cod liver oil capsule) nightly, but my midwife gave me Healthy Start vitamins and told me to take them instead. I didn’t question it at the time, only now when I went to take my pregnacare and remembered - was I wasting my money before? I feel like the pregncare has a lot more added to it, whilst the new vitamins are only folic avid, vit c and d. My diet is pretty hit and miss at the moment due to hideous morning (noon and night) sickness, so feel like my baby needs all the help I can get.

MissConductUS Wed 25-Oct-17 01:38:01

Did you ask her why she preferred the Healthy Start brand? The really critical thing is to get plenty of folate (folic acid). It supplies an essential component needed for DNA replication and red blood cell production.

Unless she gives you a good reason not to, I'd switch back to what you were taking before if it's a more complete formula and you're not eating well. Prenatal and natal vitamins generally contain 800 mcg or more of folate. Just make sure you're getting that.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 25-Oct-17 06:46:15

I take the healthy vitamins. They have all you And baby need in them

Alexandra07 Wed 25-Oct-17 11:36:19

I take the healthy start vitamins as well. If the baby needs something extra, it will take it from you, and you will be the one to suffer! not the baby! My diet was not also good during my first trimester but baby is fine (35 w now). You are going to have regular tests for iron or you will feel the symptoms, so if you need supplements, you will be prescribed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: