Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tips for buying breastfeeding-friendly clothes in advance?

(12 Posts)
BernardBlacksHangover Tue 24-Oct-17 10:03:59

I'm not talking about a whole wardrobe full of clothes, as I have no idea what shape / size I'll be after birth, but I do want a few things to tide me over in the hospital and until I can get out to the shops.

I'm not on Facebook as I hate it, but I'm considering joining just for the "can I breast feed in it?" page!

Oysterbabe Tue 24-Oct-17 10:17:29

All you need really is stretchy vests that you can pull down. Stretchy vest underneath, any old top on top, pull the top up and vest down and you can feed while being mostly covered. Primark do suitable vests for about £1, just buy them in a big size.

ChipShopGherkin Tue 24-Oct-17 10:19:28

I've found you don't really need specific clothes for breastfeeding in, i just got a couple of strappy vests to wear underneath my normal tops.

Top up, vest pulled underneath my boob, nursing cup of bra now. Hey Presto.

The vest keeps your stomach covered, baby keeps everything else. Nice and discreet.

ChipShopGherkin Tue 24-Oct-17 10:19:48

Cross post grin

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 24-Oct-17 10:29:10

Great thanks. I think I'll need some bottom halves in a size or two up and some bigger tops. Or maybe just my maternity stuff for a bit. I wear a lot of tights, dresses and dungaree which is the problem - can't whip them up! I just look rancid in jeans (boo).

Ttbb Tue 24-Oct-17 10:32:08

If it's not button down forget it. All the stretchy/wrap ties stuff is not v comfortable.

Passmethecrisps Tue 24-Oct-17 10:32:08

For dresses a bandeau which you can pull up while you push the dress down might work. I bought a few v-neck and wrap style dresses for the early days as it was easier just to pull the whole breast out and cover with a Muslin if you feel the need.

I actually find proper nursing clothes more of a faff and my baby doesn’t like material on or near her face

furryelephant Tue 24-Oct-17 10:37:10

Dungarees are one of the best things to feed in! You can just pull the top up from underneath and pop the boob out the side grinthere’s a Facebook group called “can I breastfeed in it UK” and dungarees are a staple on there

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 24-Oct-17 10:43:22

furry! Wtf?! How did I never realise this before? Of course dungarees are perfect for feeding! Thank you.

Yes, low wrap dresses might work mightn't they? Or wrap tops and skirts?

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 24-Oct-17 10:44:53

I'm unreasonably happy about the dungarees revelation.

Phryne Tue 24-Oct-17 10:45:24

I'd get a couple of things you really like as you'll be in them a lot. If you like dresses, ASOS is good (search nursing) and guess to plus size. Purpless do decent basic dresses cheap (£15 and under). If you're skinny (size 12 or less) the Amazon and eBay stuff that ships from China might suit and is cheap. You could also go to your favourite shop and look for shirt dresses, zips, and so on! I find 1 up 1 down doesn't work for me and swear by actual nursing clothing so everyone is different! A couple years in it seems like the trick is to find what works for your own style

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 24-Oct-17 11:01:30

I'm usually a 14, but this is dc2 and I was a 12 when I fell pregnant with dc1, (who I had to mix feed for a couple of months and then bottle feed, due to some serious problems postpartum. We were both in hospital for some of the time we were mix feeding, which is why I am still a bit clueless about breastfeeding attire beside pyjamas).

I definitely remember wearing some size 16s shortly after dc1 was born, so I maybe need to go up two sizes? Or does it depend on how much weight I gain? Tricky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now