Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any advice?

(9 Posts)
jemk83 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:56:42

Hi,

I'm brand new here and am 5 weeks pregnant. I was wondering if anyone else has experience of studying full time whilst pregnant and how they found it? I am doing a 1year full - time masters degree, which involves a 1 and half hour commute each way (5 days a week) and has a lot more self - directed learning outside of contact time than I was expecting. We are also about to complete on a new house and move from Essex to Kent (which will up commute to two hours), and I also run my own business. My hubby (sorry - don't know all the abbreviations etc yet!) is concerned that I might not be able to juggle everything and I am inclined to agree. The thing that would need to give would be the Masters, so any words of wisdoms from others would be greatly appreciated! (Oh and the thesis would be due in September with baby due on the 25th June! Not sure how the would work out!)

3rdrockfromthesun Mon 23-Oct-17 21:26:25

Can you do the degree part time? Can you do a large part of the thesis before the baby is due? Will you OH help hold/take the baby out whilst you do some work?

purplek1tty Mon 23-Oct-17 22:38:44

I work full time running a charity and am studying for a part time MBA. Currently nearly 32 weeks. The uni have been really understanding and I am realistic about what I can/can't do. I've also recently bought a house!!

It is impossible for you to know how you will feel and what you'll be able to cope with but it is important you talk to the uni asap as they do have ways of supporting pregnant students which may not mean you have to drop out. Hope this helps a bit! smile

jemk83 Tue 24-Oct-17 07:37:15

Hi,

Thanks for your messages. They have offered part time but it would mean going back once the baby is born, resulting in full time nursery which we really don’t want to do. I’ve asked about completing thesis early but no decision has been given to me on that yet! I think the main problem for me is that I’m completely distracted and lacking motivation now! Meeting with my programme leader tomorrow so hopefully things will be clearer! smile

JoJoSM2 Tue 24-Oct-17 08:51:20

People have different levels of energy. My sister had a baby whilst at uni and working. She went to her classes right until the end and was back two weeks after the baby was born and just ploughed on.
I appreciate that it's very rare to cope like that though (currently she's got 2 DC, is a full time med student and works part time!).

Would you be able to condense some of your classes into fewer days so you don't need to go back and forth all the time? Or postpone the move? It does sound like you're trying to do too many things all at he same time.

Milliemumof4 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:17:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milliemumof4 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:20:36

Milliemumof4

OK advice please
Lmp 25.9.17 for 4 days (light heavy heavy ligh
Next lmp would of been due yesterday 23.10.17
Had bleeding on 19.10.17 4 days before period was duw but only lasted 2 days (pink day 1 red day 2 but only used panty liner as flow not heavy only there when I wiped really)
Haven't started still as yet
Pregnant test seemed neg yesterdayconfused
Could I still be pregnant and just not produced enough hcg yet or was the bleed for the 2 days my af xx confused

purplek1tty Tue 24-Oct-17 11:38:52

Milliemum - you might want to start a new thread. Not particularly relevant to this discussion.

GingerRogers84 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:17:12

I’m doing a Masters over two years. I currently have two days with a couple of contact hours in each. My course is heavily based around my own research and reading.
My uni is incredibly supportive and there are extensions to be had etc. I’ve got two massive essays due two weeks before my due date. shock
My advice is to get as much done as possible before your baby arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now