Talk

Advanced search

If you measured ahead on growth scan, did you delivery early or late?

(13 Posts)
tootsieglitterballs Mon 23-Oct-17 17:18:36

Curious really...

I know the 12 week scan is most accurate, however I’m interested to hear experiences from third trimester growth scans.

tootsieglitterballs Tue 24-Oct-17 09:22:26

Bump

cece Tue 24-Oct-17 09:26:47

I had growth scan at 38 weeks with my 2nd DC. He measured above 99% on scale. He was 11 days late.

ownedbySWD Tue 24-Oct-17 09:33:26

I refused the third trimester growth scans; why are they even offering it? They are notoriously inaccurate. Having said that, I've always measured a few weeks ahead with the tape measure, and I do have big babies. I also go "over" but I also hate the EDD method as well. ;)

I'm a grumpy pregnant lady.

HandbagFan Tue 24-Oct-17 09:38:53

Seems odd to refuse the third trimester scan - I get not being fussed about growth accuracy but the scan can reveal other issues that would go unnoticed otherwise. A friend lost her baby at 39+5 due to a placental issue that could have been picked up if she’d had a scan post 20 weeks and is actively campaigning for a third scan to be offered.

But back to the question...

My growth scan at 32 weeks showed DS was on 50th centile but was born 15 days after due date.

ChocolatePancake Tue 24-Oct-17 09:38:54

The late growth scans don't mean anything because babies range so much during that time anyway. Both of mine measured ahead and one was 2 days early and one was 1 week late

mellongoose Tue 24-Oct-17 09:39:52

My was completely inaccurate. I was expecting a 9lb baby. She was 4 days early and weighed 6lb 12.5oz the half was very important!!

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Tue 24-Oct-17 11:07:44

Growth scans seem to be a tad pointless IMHO. I had a 28 week growth scan last week and my notes said baby currently weighs around 2lbs 13oz which according to a lot of forums and google is apparently huge for 28 weeks gestation. I then had a midwife apt the following day and my bump was measuring 26-27 weeks hmm

I find the measurements both in the scans and at midwife appointments to be seriously inaccurate. I don't think measuring ahead or behind has any correlation or causation on when you deliver. Baby will come when it's ready, big, little or bang on size, when it's time, its time!

ownedbySWD Tue 24-Oct-17 11:11:22

Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I was just sharing what worked for me - I have large babies (9lbs+) and knew they would freak out at a growth scan. I didn't want to be pressured into an early induction when I knew what was normal for me.

Having said that, my ds flipped in late pregnancy and it wasn't picked up until I was overdue, leading to an emergency section. I do tend to get paranoid about a repeat performance and will ask for a positioning scan if I can get one.

OneForTheRoadThen Tue 24-Oct-17 11:56:58

I had a growth scan at 35 weeks and baby measured 7lb 8. I gave birth a week later and he weighed 7lb 9 so they are not always as inaccurate as people like to say.

tootsieglitterballs Tue 24-Oct-17 12:14:46

So it seems they are massively inaccurate for some people, and don’t necessarily mean anything!

We have had 2 growth scans due to bump measurements dropping on my chart and not following the curve, combined with reduced movement, but luckily on the scans they have seen more consistency. Despite measuring approx 56th centile, he’s apparently measuring 2 weeks ahead on the growth scan so who knows when he will arrive and how big he will be!

Goodness know when this one will come... it appears / appeared all of last week I was in pre labour (loss of plug & bloody show , lots of back ache in waves moving to front etc etc) but it’s all slowed right off now... 35 1/2 weeks now so would like him cook for a little longer!

NotAQueef Tue 24-Oct-17 12:18:39

Surely the purpose of a 3rd trimester scan is more than just growth measuring though. It's to check the health of the placenta etc to help reduce late term stillbirths.
I think everyone should get one.

MrsC2000 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:22:30

My daughter measured 2 weeks bigger than she should have been at all my scans(had lots due to difficult pregnancy) and said I should expect her to come early. She actually arrived 16 days late after being induced

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now