Talk

Advanced search

Maternity coats

(23 Posts)
Mumbofeet Mon 23-Oct-17 16:19:27

Anyone had any luck with buying a normal coat in a couple of sizes bigger rather than a maternity one? Maternity ones seem to be much more expensive but obvs I don't know exactly how big my bump is going to get. Are maternity coats really any different than normal coats apart from being a bit bigger?

LittleFox01 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:33:05

Hello,

Take a look on Asda George, they have a green one for £30 which is maternity, it has a panel that you zip on for when needed but otherwise it can be used as a normal coat.

Hope that helps! X

LittleFox01 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:34:20

https://direct.asda.com/george/womens/maternity-clothes/maternity-shower-resistant-parka/GEM562572,default,pd.html

They also do it in Black 😊 x

koalab Mon 23-Oct-17 16:37:39

I managed without a special maternity one. I actually found I was quite warm when pregnant so didn't need anything too thick. A wrap around cardi and a waterproof in a size bigger did me ok.

SomehowSomewhere1 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:42:29

I have bought a swing coat from a charity shop for £3. It’s M&S and looks like it will cover bump through till when i’m due in Feb.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Mon 23-Oct-17 16:46:34

I didn't buy a maternity coat. I bought a big parka two sizes up from my usual. That worked well & looked good. I know friends wore non maternity swing style coats.

owltrousers Mon 23-Oct-17 16:48:19

Asos do a raincoat that has like a zip in middle section for when you're pregnant and then you can remove it afterwards and it fits like a normal non maternity coat. I thought that was pretty clever!

confused123456 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:49:46

I didn't buy any maternity clothes. I just got clothes in the next size up when I needed to.
(Luckily I was pregnant in the summer, and my t shirts fitted the whole way through. So I just got some light dresses, leggings and tracksuit bottoms for round the house in the next size up).

owltrousers Mon 23-Oct-17 16:49:59

Here it is - www.asos.com/mamalicious/mamalicious-rain-mac-with-post-birth-functionality/prd/7758466?clr=navy&SearchQuery=Maternity%20coat&pgesize=26&pge=0&totalstyles=26&gridsize=3&gridrow=8&gridcolumn=1

Bit pricey mind.

RandomUsernameHere Mon 23-Oct-17 16:51:15

I also didn't buy a maternity coat. I had two long thick cardigans that turned out to be very stretchy. I also used big scarves and shawls.

Mumbofeet Mon 23-Oct-17 17:31:16

Thanks for your replies, I'll defo take a look at the asda one! Anything to save some money, maternity clothes are such a rip off!

knottybeams Mon 23-Oct-17 17:37:05

If you plan to use a Sling with your baby then a multiway coat may be worthwhile to buy early and get as much wear as possible (panel turns round to fit bump vs front carrier then can remove entirely)

Tryingtogetitright Mon 23-Oct-17 17:49:38

I bought one from newlook online for £40 last year so that might be worth a look too.

ElsieMay123 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:55:00

Much to his delight I've been wearing (and will continue to wear) DPs coats and jumpers, they fit great! They might not be especially stylish but being all outdoors type things (down jacket, waterproof, fleece) they are really cosy. Due in Feb so seems so daft to buy a winter coat for one season only (I have +15 year old gear, fashion is not my thing). If I buy something in his size at least he can continue wearing it...

NamesNamesAndMoreNames Mon 23-Oct-17 17:56:47

I got mine second hand from a Facebook selling site. They are hardly used really so it's good condition smile

sammy891 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:21:42

I second the Asda one. Brilliant coat with zip out panel that makes it into a regular Parka to be worn after baby arrives. It is a similar design to much pricier parkas I've come across.

NearLifeExperience Wed 25-Oct-17 09:49:22

Had 5 DC/pregnancies and never had a maternity coat!
I did have one biggish coat once from a charity shop, but mostly if I was big and cold I had coat open and wide scarf over belly!

That said, I think that Asda coat looks good.

THirdEeye Wed 25-Oct-17 13:40:13

I haven’t bought many maternity clothes (actuallly only about 4 items in total) but did buy a multiway coat from Verbaudet (it’s on offer at the moment) .

I’ve not worn it much as the weather has been very mild and I’m now 38 weeks. Although it was expensive, I do want to wear a sling with baby and this coat will cover them also. Also, the coat can be worn as non maternity.

Have you looked on eBay? I also second ASDA.

Ilikedogs Wed 25-Oct-17 13:49:53

I bought a jacket expander called Zip us In. It was about £20 from boots. You have to check the zip on the current coat is compatible (quite a few of mine were). And it can be used over a baby carrier as well.

ChocolatePancake Wed 25-Oct-17 13:54:29

Confused123456 I never buy maternity clothes either! I used to buy maternity pants until I discovered the range of leggings now available. There's a lot of normal clothes that look great when pregnant. I buy a size up and if it needs altering then it takes about 3 minutes worth of my time sewing

Her0utdoors Wed 25-Oct-17 14:11:12

I think I saw zip in panels in the next website, not sure if they fit any coat... I have the verbaudet coat, pregnancy/ baby in sling with the panel in, or just a bit chubby without the panel, £42.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:18:39

I don't want to buy a maternity coat either for the all the time I have left, which is 9 weeks. I'm still in my normal jacket which is getting a little snug but I can still do the zip up and get into it so I'm happy with that 🙊

boopdoop Wed 25-Oct-17 16:45:14

Maybe try eBay? I got my maternity coat for £15 on there and it's so good to have a proper one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now