Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it worth having an early scan if I'm overweight?

(17 Posts)
thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 23-Oct-17 11:05:16

Hi, I'm expecting our first and DH and I would like to go for a private "viability" scan. I'd be 8 weeks on the date we're looking at (9 if you go by the date of my last period but I have a regular 33 day cycle). I'm a size 18 and have a BMI of 32, I'm a bit concerned that the extra flab will mean they can't see anything in an ultrasound and we will worry unnecessarily. There's no medical reason why we want the scan (although in the back of my mind I do worry that the only symptoms I've had so far are sore boobs and cramping) it's just because we're first time parents and want to put our minds at rest that everything is ticking along ok. First midwife appointment is in 2 weeks time, after the date of the scan.

Anyone else overweight and had a successful early scan?

Excusemyfrench Mon 23-Oct-17 11:12:48

Hello ! Congratulations on your pregnancy how excitingsmile

At your stage of gestation they will likely do an internal scan, I dont think your weight will affect this.

Best of luck xx

thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 23-Oct-17 11:20:37

Thank you!

LittleFox01 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:26:18

Hello & congratulations!

I have had early scans and as early as 6 weeks, I am bigger than you and have had internal scans, i even had a normal tummy scan at 9 weeks have seen baby fine smile

Hope your pregnancy goes well xx

mindutopia Mon 23-Oct-17 11:34:17

Most early scans will be internal, so weight won't make any difference. Also, you are hardly all that overweight. I'm a size 18 and a BMI of 30 and I've had early scans in my last 2 pregnancies. In this one, I had 2 actually at 7 and 8 weeks. At the 7 week scan, which was just a private viability scan, so not much she really needed to see other than get a measurement and check for heart beat, I didn't even need an internal. She could see everything abdominally. The 8 week scan was in the EPU (due to bleeding, all was fine, I just bleed a lot in pregnancy) and they did to an internal there as she couldn't see well enough with the abdominal one. But still it was fine and the internal ones aren't a big deal.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 23-Oct-17 12:03:59

I had an early scan last year at 8 weeks. My BMI was 39 (although to be fair most of my weight is carried on my bum and hips) and visibility wasn't tremendous but they were able to see the bean and a heartbeat flickering. Make sure you go somewhere that will do an internal scan, though, as they couldn't get an image with the scanner on my belly.

TheEdgeOfGlory266 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:25:06

I had several scans before 12 weeks. One as early as 5 when there was just a sac and they saw plenty because it was an internal. Even the external scans haven't been a problem.

thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 23-Oct-17 12:35:56

Thanks everyone, I've booked it.

I got married a few months ago and the process of buying a wedding dress was soul destroying despite having lost 2.5st and being a size 16 on the day and i felt like something that should have been a fun experience was made awful for everyone involved because of my weight and the same seems to be happening so far with this pregnancy. The nurse who did my midwife referral made me feel awful about daring to fall pregnant whilst overweight. I just didn't want to book in for an early scan and be setting myself up for more disappointment and embarrassment.

GrapesAreMyJam Mon 23-Oct-17 13:07:51

I’m overweight and had an early scan at 8 weeks in my pregnancy last year. Sadly I miscarried at 13 weeks with no miscarriage symptoms despite there being a good heartbeat at 8 weeks.

I’m 25 weeks pregnant now but refused all early scans as I didn’t want to get my hopes up.

LumpySpaceCow Mon 23-Oct-17 14:53:23

From my experience, private scans don't tend to be internal - if they can't see anything then you go back the next week.
I am a similar size to you and have had viability scans (privately) as early as 6weeks. I just drank litres and litres before the scan to make sure my uterus was right out of my pelvis and have never had any issues!
Check with the company that you have booked with as no point in drinking loads if they do internal but if they don't then you know what to do! X

AnUtterIdiot Mon 23-Oct-17 21:08:43

I'm really sorry you've had a hard time from the nurse. No one has given me a hard time about my weight so hopefully your midwife will be nicer!

AnUtterIdiot Mon 23-Oct-17 21:09:46

I also miscarried in my first pregnancy. Now 31 weeks into my second. I don't think the miscarriage was related to my weight - just one of those things.

ChocolatePancake Mon 23-Oct-17 21:50:39

My BMI is 41 and I carry weight in my stomach and a tummy scan was fine

Macarena1980 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:25:01

My BMI IS 36 and I had an internal scan at 8 weeks Which was very clear. I would try not to worry about your scans as felt the same but we have had no problems with seeing baby at 12 and 20 weeks. The midwife also made me feel bad about my BMI... so know how you feel, but i think as long as you feel healthy baby will be fine. Good luck with everything xx

Usernamegone Tue 24-Oct-17 07:58:09

I had a scan at 8 weeks. I'm not overweight but they tried an abdominal scan but couldn't see anything as I had too much gas so they had to do a transvaginal scan!

Ignore the midwife and enjoy your scan. It was magical seeing the heartbeat and made me feel much more reassured

beingsunny Tue 24-Oct-17 08:15:16

Oh goodness, how insensitive of that midwife!
You don’t sound considerably overweight, certainly not enough to affect a scan, we have them here from 6 weeks, I’m not a skinny but that shouldn’t be an issue at all wink

Congratulations on your pregnancy,

thecolonelbumminganugget Sun 05-Nov-17 12:15:41

Had my scan yesterday, beautifully clear pictures of our tiny 8+4 little one (clear until I couldn't stop crying at just how beautiful that fuzzy little blob is, but I can't blame that on the ultrasound grin)

Thanks for the support on this one, so glad we did it, it all seems a bit more real and worth the rough bits of early pregnancy now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now