Talk

Advanced search

Pre Eclampsia -Induction experiences?

(65 Posts)
Ohb0llocks Mon 23-Oct-17 07:41:19

Long story short...

Diagnosed officially with pre e yesterday evening after a week of back and fourth to the hospital with high bp (picked up at routine mw appointment), feeling generally unwell, and +++protein. Was allowed home for the night, back in today, just waiting for them to call at the time.

OB said she wants me being monitored today and mentioned a scan, so just waiting the appointment time for that.

She did say that I won’t be going full term which is terrifying but I’m trying to stay calm about it.

I’m 37 weeks today. Any idea when induction is likely? I’m very scared that it’s going to be a case of ‘well we will just wait until you’re/baby really ill then do it’.

And also what’s induction like? My DS who’s 3 came on his own (albeit 12 days late).

And any way to ease the fear of being away from him for so long? He stayed at my mums Saturday night for the first time in 2 years and I was a wreck. I miss him already and he’s asleep in the same bloody house!!!

Ohb0llocks Mon 23-Oct-17 08:11:23

Anyone?

crumpet Mon 23-Oct-17 08:17:48

Dd was 3 when ds was born, and I had several days in hospital. She was absolutely fine and if I was to ask her now would have no recollection of it.

Induction is different for everyone - worked very smoothly for a couple of friends of mine. Less effective for me and I ended up with a cs, but as at the end of the day both me and dd were fine, it was a success.

Congratulations and good luck - you are in the right place.

Moomaloo Mon 23-Oct-17 08:20:00

If you are 37 weeks that is classed as full term so your baby is fully cooked! I got it at 32 weeks. They wanted me to get to 37 weeks but only made it to 34. Few weeks is neo natal but fine. Induced with dc3 with slight pre e and it was a really good birth! I was told pre eclampsia can make your body think induction is a good idea so it speeds things along!
Good luck!

speakfriendandenter Mon 23-Oct-17 08:24:44

I was induced at 38+6. First pessary at 11am on Monday, it didn't do much. Second pessary at 6pm on Monday. Mild pains through the night. 8am on Tuesday they transferred me to delivery room. Baby born at 12.12pm. She was back to back and decided to turn mid delivery. All in all, not a bad labour though!
Good luck!

Hs2Issue Mon 23-Oct-17 08:33:51

I was induced at 36 weeks with pe unfortunately ended in emergency c-section as Dd became oxygen deprived. She was a little small but overall very well.

Ohb0llocks Mon 23-Oct-17 08:34:18

Were you stuck on a bed the whole time or able to move around etc?

Hs2Issue Mon 23-Oct-17 08:59:24

Stuck on a bed but i did have an epidural as well.

Hs2Issue Mon 23-Oct-17 09:01:28

I also had a sweep which did nothing but make me cry as it was so painful even midwife queried why doctor was doing it as far too early in my case to be effective.

Ohb0llocks Mon 23-Oct-17 10:22:57

Just had phone call from the hospital.
Bp profile check today, scan and midwife tomorrow morning.

MotherPumpkinWannaSpiceMe Mon 23-Oct-17 10:39:41

I ve had a severe preeclampsia in my second pregnancy. Went in feeling really unwell at 32 weeks and they ve diagnosed and delivered him the next day. It was pretty scary but he was fine just very small. Under 2 pounds. He is now 8 and no health problems.

I am now pregnant again and was admitted to hospital last week with Pre-eclampsia again. I am 32 weeks today and my blood pressure is refusing to come down, I feel awful but baby is doing ok so far. Scan is tomorrow to monitor the baby’s growth. I am not allowed to leave until they deliver her. They are trying to take me to 35 weeks but I doubt I ll last that long

Boringnamechange1 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:05:51

I was diagnosed at 37+2 and was induced there and then. I asked to wait until the next day but I wasn't allowed as I had gone past pre eclampsia and had HELLP. I was given a pessary at 5.15pm and she was born at 1.07am. I only had the one pessary and contractions started within an hour. I had a drip and catheter so wasn't allowed to move around was stuck on my back all that time. Because I had HELLP I wasn't allowed an epidural so it was a very painful labour. My baby started to get a bit distressed and I was becoming more ill as time went on and they were getting ready to take for emergency CS under GA when she pretty much came flying out. She needed oxygen and was a bit small but other than that she was fine. I needed a blood transfusion and was kept in for a week (but think that was more to do with having HELLP rather than pre eclampsia) and until baby gained weight before we got home.
I can honestly say if it wasn't for not being allowed an epidural then it would have been a very positive labour for me as it was quick. Hope all goes well for you.

Ohb0llocks Mon 23-Oct-17 18:25:43

Just got home from the hospital. BP borderline, protein seems to be less. Induction booked for Friday if things stay stable. Growth scan and another bp check in the morning!

Moanyoldcow Mon 23-Oct-17 18:57:06

I would familiarise yourself with the bishops score and ask about yours before agreeing to an induction. I had 5 days of an induction that would never work, I was 1cm after 5 days and they broke my waters which did fuck all.

You don't want all that - it's exhausting. Better to have a calm ELCS than a failed induction.

Moanyoldcow Mon 23-Oct-17 19:00:22

To add, after 12 hours on drop I got to 4cm so it was EMCS and I was in an utter state because of all of the time I spent in hospital with nothing happening but constant monitoring and tests.

I'm expecting no 2 and whilst I'm hoping for VBAC, I'm on bp meds since 16 weeks and doctor agrees no induction this time - it's VBAC or ELCS.

Ohb0llocks Tue 24-Oct-17 06:36:41

Will ask about it @Moanyoldcow

She tried to do a sweep yesterday but was only able to get a fingertip in

Wistfulthinking Tue 24-Oct-17 06:51:15

I had pre-eclampsia and was induced at 37 weeks. I think my final results were quite high as I was induced the next day.

I had two pessaries which were slow to work and the sweeps were very painful. I had the first pessary about 10pm I think and another early in the morning. My labour failed to progress and I got stuck at 4cm. Due to heavy bleeding I ended up having an emergency caesarean and I think my baby was born late afternoon / early evening. I had a number of complications and was already high risk before PE was diagnosed, but I found induction more painful than the overdue vaginal birth of my first. I think my body wasn’t ready. There won’t be a be a next time as our family is complete, but I did resolve that I would have a planned caesarean if I ever had another baby.

I think induction can work for some, but it was hard for me. I had a lot of faith in my doctors and mid-wife and that really helped me get through it all.

Good luck! My youngest is now 2 and it was worth every moment...

Moanyoldcow Tue 24-Oct-17 08:06:09

When she tried to do a sweep at 39 weeks she couldn't FIND my cervix which was a good clue to how pointless it all was I think.

Good luck - if it works for you then that's great as obviously it's better to deliver vaginally in most cases if you are able.

Ohb0llocks Thu 26-Oct-17 13:17:10

Getting very nervous now!

Had 2 unsuccessful sweeps, Monday she was able to get a fingertip in and today it was soft but ended up being too painful so that’s quite disheartening.

Worried about the pre e worsening too. I’ve managed to avoid medication at the minute. Had another bp profile today and it’s hovering between 130/70 and 140/90

Foggymist Thu 26-Oct-17 14:44:54

That bp isn't bad, it has to be over 140/190 for a sustained time to be considered high.

Petrichery Thu 26-Oct-17 15:47:39

I was diagnosed with p-e at a routine midwife apt the day my dd was due, and told to go straight to hospital. There was then a day of waiting around at hospital, and was finally given the pessary at around 10pm. Contractions started almost immediately, and continued all night with my waters breaking about 6am. It was v.painful (although i have nothing to compare to and may just be a wimp grin ) so i asked for an epidural straight away as i was wheeled to the delivery room, but unfortunately they were still waiting on blood test results and couldn't give it to me until the results came in, around 10am, so i would say ask early if you think you want/need one.
After i got the epidural things became bearable again and i progressed to fully dilated, then stalled and ended up having a ventouse delivery around 10pm.
My midwife was a unfriendly old bat, but the surgical team when i went in for the ventouse were lovely and really listened to my preferences (i asked for no forceps, to only try the ventouse once, and then go straight to elcs if it didn't work and they were very understanding and agreed immediately. Overall, the birth was fine - the only downside of the process was quite how painful i found the induction, and being left alone all night with it (my partner wasn't allowed to stay and the ward was in darkness and no midwives really came around all night so i had no one to ask if what was happening was normal) but with a second birth i probably wouldn't be so polite about that smile

CatRash Thu 26-Oct-17 19:12:32

I think induction which is one of those things that can go either way. Some people react well, some don't.

I was induced at 38+1 due to pre-eclampsia. I had the propess and it got me to 1cm after several hours of quite strong contractions. However I lost it along with my plug and didn't realise so didn't get the full 24 hours.

I then had a stretch and sweep and the gel pessary inserted. This led to much stronger regular contractions but still only got me to 2cm.

Then they broke my waters which started horrendous back to back contractions where I was vomiting every other contraction. That was nice! This was about 7am.

After about 5 hours I had an epidural and the hormone drip. By around 10pm I was fully dilated and spent the next two hours pushing to no avail. I vomited a lot during pushing too as the epidural wore off.

Eventually my poppet-frog was delivered by forceps at 1am which involved a episiotomy and haemorrhaging because my cervix tore. Nice.

I had the propess inserted 11:30am on Friday and LO was delivered 1am on the Monday so it was lengthy. I was in hospital a week in total - nothing wrong with bubs it was my blood pressure keeping me in.

Three months later and my episotomy wound still hasn't healed properly and I've been referred to the hospital with it this week.

Good luck - hope all goes well and you're holding your LO soon!!

Ohb0llocks Thu 26-Oct-17 21:38:37

I’ve just been sat watching DS sleeping having a little cry sad

Petrichery Thu 26-Oct-17 21:56:25

Oh, i'm so sorry - i probably shouldn't have given so much gory detail.
Another way of putting exactly the same info would be - i was seen promptly when they suspected a dangerous condition, and as baby was "fully cooked" (as yours is) they did an induction straight away which worked quickly first time, and 24 hrs after they first put the pessary in i was holding my beautiful dd. The rest really wasn't important after that smile hope that makes it sound a bit more positive?

Ohb0llocks Thu 26-Oct-17 22:15:18

@Petrichery honestly I’d rather hear it as it is. That way it’s not a nasty surprise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now