Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is this back labour

(8 Posts)
Mytise Sun 22-Oct-17 22:51:42

In the past hour I have had the same pain 4 times. It's in my lower but middle back more to the right side of the middle and feels like a sharp ache and lasts around 20-30 seconds, could this be labour starting? 39 weeks. Shall I ring the hospital?

Mytise Sun 22-Oct-17 22:52:43

Also having frequent braxton hicks probably about five in the last hour, these don't occur at the same time as the back pain

mineallmine Sun 22-Oct-17 22:56:08

Could be but it's possibly early for ringing the hospital. My ds was born after an entirely back labour and it was slow. Waters broke tues morning and he was born wed afternoon. All labour was in my back. Ds was op presentation but had a svd (small episiotomy.)

Exciting! Best of luck.

Mytise Sun 22-Oct-17 23:04:30

Thank you, how long after initial back ache did your waters break?

Waddlelikeapenguin Sun 22-Oct-17 23:07:07

Dont ring the hospital, take a couple of paracetamol if you need it & try to get some sleep flowers
You will wake up if you're birthing & if not you've not stayed up tiring yourself before maybe birthing tomorrow or the next day!

Mytise Sun 22-Oct-17 23:24:47

Thank you they seem to have stopped now, am going to get some sleep. Do you think it sounds like labour could be imminent from what I've described? Don't really want to go over and waiting impatiently hmm

Waddlelikeapenguin Sun 22-Oct-17 23:43:52

Well... I've had three back to back babies - one i was in labour 4 days, one i had braxton hicks that woke me etc for 4/7 for 6 weeks shock before he finally showed up, one i started from nothing to baby in about 15 hours.

Try to remember that every little twinge is getting baby better positioned for birth flowers it's all important
& try to be patient - all of my pregnancies were over 42 weeks so i know how hard this is!!

mineallmine Sun 22-Oct-17 23:58:45

For me, the backache started the previous evening but it didn't occur to me that this was the start of things.i never had pains in front for the whole of my labour.mmy waters trickled out all day Tuesday.

If it is a back to back baby, the labour can be very slow so for me, I wanted to delay going to hospital as long as possible (but I live near the hospital.) I only went to hospital when I really couldn't bear the pain and the contractions were 5 mins apart.
I hadn't wanted an epidural if at all possible but it was the most wonderful thing in the end. I couldn't have laboured without it. It had worn off before the pushing stage anyway. I only say this to you now in case you have definite plans against one. A back labour is quite painful so bear that in mind. My DS's birth went nothing like I'd planned and hoped and it was still wonderful because I had him at the end of it.
I'm following this thread now so please come back and tell us how everything went.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: