Talk

Advanced search

GTT St Peter's Chertsey in the morning!

(21 Posts)
picknmiss Sun 22-Oct-17 19:00:30

Help!! I'm desperately hoping there's someone on here who's had a Glucose Tolerance Test at St Peter's in the last few months, as I've lost my letter with the instructions sad

I called maternity but as it's Sunday only triage was open and the midwife wasn't sure but thought I needed to drink the glucose solution 2 hours before arriving for my appointment and having my blood taken.

My issue is the glucose drink itself says on the bag the patient has fasting bloods taken, drinks the drink, waits two hours and has another blood test.

I'm now not sure whether I drink it before my appointment or just take it with me. Anyone know?

meltingmarshmallows Sun 22-Oct-17 19:04:55

Not at your hospital but I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t drink it ... they need to take 1 set of bloods, have you drink it then take a 2nd to compare. They may do it differently by hospital but you would have needed bloods done very recently I guess for it to have any relevance. Seems more likely it would be done that morning.

With mine it was a case of go, have bloods done, drink the drink then return 2 hours later for more bloods.

Goldenbuzzer Sun 22-Oct-17 19:06:23

I had one last week. But not at St. Peter’s. I had to fast from 10pm night before, go and have bloods taken, drink the drink, wait 2 hrs, have second lot of bloods done.

picknmiss Sun 22-Oct-17 19:09:07

Thanks for your reply! That makes the most sense to me, Im only hesitating because the midwife said to drink it at home and also in my first pregnancy I had to drink the lucozade at home (different hospital) and they took no fasting bloods which even at the time seemed weird!

Lulublu Sun 22-Oct-17 19:18:00

I had one at St. Peter’s about 6 weeks ago. You can’t eat or drink anything except water after midnight the night before. Then you need to drink your drink two hours before they take bloods. Do you already have the drink? There was quite a complicated instruction on how much of the bottle to drink and how much water to add. Will see if I can find it.

Lulublu Sun 22-Oct-17 19:19:58

Also I only had one set of bloods taken (I.e. only after drinking the drink). I had the lucozade test done at St. Peter’s for my last pregnancy too and it was the same (no pre-drink bloods).

picknmiss Sun 22-Oct-17 19:28:16

Thank you so much Lulublu!! That's so helpful, if you were able to find the info about diluting the drink that would be amazing, I didn't even think about that!

Lulublu Sun 22-Oct-17 19:29:47

I’m afraid I no longer have the instruction re how to mix the drink. I presume you have the same one I had which was orange flavour in a white bottle (purple lid maybe). I was told not to drink all of it and to dilute with a certain quantity of water but I cannot remember the exact quantities. The drink had to be drunk in 5 minutes and exactly 2 hours before the blood test. When you get to the abbey wing they ask you when you finished your drink and make sure they see you within the required time. Unless they have changed their procedure since mid sept they definitely only take one set of bloods. I’m sorry I can’t help re dilution. If you don’t have the dilution quantities maybe give them a ring as soon as they open tomorrow and get them to confirm. They may be able to shift your appointment by an hour or so to give you extra time - especially as they just need a nurse to take a quick set of bloods.

picknmiss Sun 22-Oct-17 19:30:04

And sorry yes I do have the drink here!

picknmiss Sun 22-Oct-17 19:30:51

Ok great thanks so much for your help, I'll ring as soon as they open!

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 22-Oct-17 23:13:54

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've had two GTTs at St Peter's, the most recent was earlier this year. Both times I've had to provide my own Lucozade and drink it at home two hours before the blood test. Interesting to see they've started using a special drink. Everyone else I know who had tests at other hospitals had two blood tests but I only ever had the one.
Good luck. I really rate SPH maternity care.

picknmiss Mon 23-Oct-17 01:59:54

Thanks peacelove that's good to know! I think I've worked out the sachet I've been given you have to drink the whole lot as it's 75g glucose which seems to be the amount used in the test, that's how much was in the old lucozade and the amount you have to dilute to with other drinks like polycal. This will teach me to file letters properly!

picknmiss Mon 23-Oct-17 13:05:35

I just wanted to update in case anyone comes across this thread in a panic! So they definitely just do the one blood test at St Peters and you drink the glucose solution at home two hours before.

I had the rapilose solution and you have to drink the full 300ml as it contains 75g of glucose. Other glucose drinks like polycal need diluting to get to 75g of glucose and same with lucozade, you need to only drink a certain amount to make sure you get the 75g.

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 23-Oct-17 17:23:39

Hope the test went well.

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 23-Oct-17 17:24:20

Out of interest which town do you live in? I'm in Woking smile

picknmiss Mon 23-Oct-17 22:42:49

Thanks peace! It went absolutely fine after all my stressing! Just got to wait for the results now.
I'm in New Haw smile

hmyh23 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:58:13

Did they tell you how long to expect the results to take? Got mine on Weds (different part of the country completely!) but just wondering if you get them on the same day?

picknmiss Mon 23-Oct-17 23:02:34

They said I'd get a letter in 10 days if the results were negative, but if it's positive they'll call me in the next few days. I think that's pretty standard as they have to send it up to the lab for testing smile

hmyh23 Tue 24-Oct-17 08:40:10

Thank you, fingers crossed for us all 🤞

hmyh23 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:24:58

Had mine this morning, had a bit of a bad reaction, after an hour went dizzy, hot and almost fainted. They said don't read too much into it as it doesn't necessarily mean bad news. Should hear in the next few days 😬

Cakeandmarshmallows Sat 28-Oct-17 21:57:45

I was about to reply coz I have just had mine booked in for same hospital, but glad you got your answers and interesting to read other posts, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now