Talk

Advanced search

What happens at a birthing options clinic

(4 Posts)
AC14MUZ Sun 22-Oct-17 17:10:24

I'm due to attend a birthing options clinic on Tuesday due to an emergency c section for DS 10 months ago. I'm currently 6 months pregnant with DS2 due in January. Has anyone been to a birthing options clinic? What happens? Do you see a doctor or a midwife? Do I need to decide there and then what to do?

mayhew Sun 22-Oct-17 17:43:07

Usually a senior midwife. At our clinic If you delivered at that hospital they bring your notes. If you delivered elsewhere, bring whatever you have. They then try to clarify exactly why you had your first cs and what your options are for the next birth. Some women are recommended to try for a normal delivery next time, others are advised against.
Your preferences are very important

acquiescence Sun 22-Oct-17 19:11:39

I attended one and it was with a senior midwife. I found it very helpful. I also had an emergency c section with my first child. It helped me make up my mind to plan for a vbac and they are supporting my decision to try to be in the midwife led unit as I don't want to be hooked up to monitors.

Have you thought about what you would like for this birth?

AC14MUZ Sun 22-Oct-17 19:30:52

When I attended my first midwife appointment she said as it's such a short amount of time since my first cs if I deliver naturally there is a chance my wound could open up, since then I've been a little terrified of the whole birthing process. I had an emergency c before because my son was getting stuck in my pelvis and kept sliding back up, he almost suffocated and as soon as he was out they had to take over his breathing. My DH and I found the whole process pretty traumatic, DH still isn't over it. The c section was awful but attempting vbac again doesn't fill me with much joy either sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: