Talk

Advanced search

Cyclizine hydrochloride

(7 Posts)
TakeMe2Insanity Sun 22-Oct-17 15:46:40

Last week suffering from constant nausea and retching occasional vomiting I saw hospital consultant who said I looked awful and prescribed cyclizine hydrochloride the first few days were fantastic. I felt human again, able to look after toddler ds BUT since then I've now had 2 vomiting episodes and more retching episodes which are leaving me bery shaky and exhausted. Is this normal? Is there anything else or have I reached the end of the road drug wise and just have sit it out. I have an appointment with the consultant on Friday for something else so have the opportunity to discuss. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

DeadDoorpost Sun 22-Oct-17 15:52:57

There are more you can try, have no fear!! the NICE guidelines can help (see the link and have a browse) but it is possible for the drugs to wear off after a while. I went through 2 lots that ended after a week or so each, the third lot didn't even touch it, and the 4th is what I've been on for the last 24 weeks (hyperemesis sufferer here, sad face)

cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!prescribinginfo

If you're suffering (doesn't matter if you've been diagnosed with hyperemesis), there's also this group you can come and join. We've got a load of options and a wealth of other suggestions and help to give you, as we're all dealing with HG and are all on various drugs so you can ask away about the effects of the different ones smile

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3064721-Hyperemesis-Support?noti=1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WatchedThreadNotification&utm_content=WatchedThreadNotification+ID_6555a97d-36be-430d-afc9-4fd402823fe9&utm_source=newsletters&utm_term=Hyperemesis%20Support#72812893

VelvetThunder Sun 22-Oct-17 15:56:21

I was prescribed cyclazine in the first instance for nausea and vomiting. At hospital, I was given it in a drip and they said it could make me feel nauseous and dizzy etc. It helped at first, but then like you made me feel sick and I continued to vomit so stopped taking it. Soon after, I was prescribed metoclopromide which I think helped better. There are other medications out there so if this one doesn't work for you, then definitely mention it and see if they can prescribe something different.
I hope you feel better soon flowers it's not easy feeling so awful and looking after another one too.

NerNerNerNerBATMAN Sun 22-Oct-17 16:33:34

Dead is right, cyclazine is a great drug and I couldn't live without it, but there are loads of safe drugs they can prescribe alongside it or instead of it. Sometimes it takes a while to find what works for you.

The combination of cyclazine, prochloperazine and metchlopramide works ok for me but I still feel like death and throw up about 4 times a day on them

flowers

TakeMe2Insanity Mon 23-Oct-17 06:25:39

Thank you that gives me hope!

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Mon 23-Oct-17 06:40:47

Get yourself seen again. There are other drugs you can combine your cyclizine with.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Oct-17 06:51:37

Lots more options out there. I found the effect of oral cyclizine fairly limited, but that of IV cyclizine (I was in hospital) much better, although the side effects were very “tripy”.

Metacloptomide was good in my first pg, but Avomine made me worse.

Stemitil and Ondanestron worked better in second pg.

Pregnancy Sickness Support provides a lot of info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now