Talk

Advanced search

7 weeks pregnant no heartbeat

(24 Posts)
1Kellymcgee1 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:38:58

Hi I’m just wondering if anybody as ever had this before, I went for an early reassurance scan on Friday, in which they said I was showing 7wks 1day, they were struggling to find any fluttering of a heartbeat, but the sonographer was struggling also to get a clear enough image (I do have a larger bmi so I thought that could of been the problem), this was not an internal scan either it was a normal one? I’ve attached a pic and as you will see doesn’t look too clear thank you x

wowbutter Sun 22-Oct-17 14:45:13

The scan photos says 8w3d so if they are saying less to you, and no trace of a heartbeat, I wouldn't say it was good news.
I have had two early scans, and heartbeat seen at 7w2d each time.

1Kellymcgee1 Sun 22-Oct-17 15:06:31

This was a private scan so we’re the scan says 8wks 3days it’s because they have went by the estimated due date, x

MamaOfTwos Sun 22-Oct-17 15:37:23

The measurements are done crown to rump and may not be clear yet, however at my 7 week scans I've had a heartbeat showing clearly both times flowers

mindutopia Sun 22-Oct-17 16:09:21

At that stage, they should be doing an internal. Why didn't they do one? It's very hard to get a clear picture to detect heartbeat at that stage, particularly if you are larger or you need a poo or loads of reasons (in my case, they couldn't see one at 9 weeks because my bowel was in the way and I was constipated, I'm not especially big). They had to do an internal and they should have done one with you rather than take a wild guess. I would get re-scanned to check for heartbeat.

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Oct-17 16:18:45

I agree they should have done an internal at 7 weeks and if you have a high BMI. I'd get another scan.

Womble75 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:29:19

I had an early scan as I suffer from recurring mc's and these were always internal.
With DS I had a heartbeat at 6w 3days.
Can you ask your EPU to confirm for you?

DuRezidal Sun 22-Oct-17 16:43:33

I would recommend an internal scan at this point. They don’t usually do external ones accurately at 7 weeks!

Polly99 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:50:18

no heartbeat at +7 weeks is not a good sign generally.
But you do need an internal scan at that stage, particularly if you are not slim around the middle. If I were you I’d go to your local EPAU for a re-scan.

1Kellymcgee1 Sun 22-Oct-17 17:20:14

Thank u everyone that’s what I’m going to do xx

ChocolatePancake Sun 22-Oct-17 17:33:45

Private scanning companies very rarely do internal scans, most don't even equip the equipment for one.. however now NHS will likely give her one once they see private scan report.

I hope all is well OP flowers

user1499786242 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:57:01

When I went to epu with first pregnancy there was a heartbeat at 7 weeks and that was an external belly scan! I was very thin back then tho, healthy pregnancy etc

Last pregnancy I had a private scan at what I thought was 7 weeks and they could find a heartbeat,so they tried an internal scan and couldn't either , said I was measuring more like 5 weeks!
I went back two weeks later so would have been 7 weeks and she said there should definitely be a heartbeat at 7 weeks
That pregnancy ended in a miscarriage a few days later!

I really do think you should get an internal scan and that will be able to confirm either way!
Good luck and hope you're ok
X

1Kellymcgee1 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:20:24

Aww no, sorry Hun and thank you I’m at this min calling the hospital been waiting 40 mins to get through it’s annoying xx

AnUtterIdiot Sun 22-Oct-17 20:39:22

It's really hard to say if the visibility was very poor. What I would say is: do not go to A&E unless they tell you that they have someone who can scan you. Last year I waited for two hours to be told that there was no one there at the weekend who could operate the scanner and they couldn't tell me anything (baby is too small to hear a heartbeat with a Doppler or stethoscope at that stage). I'd wait until tomorrow and get your GP or midwife to refer you to the EPU. Good luck.

BadPolicy Sun 22-Oct-17 22:24:55

Our local private scan company says although you can usually detect a heartbeat at 7 weeks, it's best to wait until 8 as you can be more sure. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

1Kellymcgee1 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:39:51

Thanks so much everyone xxx

KarateKitten Sun 22-Oct-17 22:45:00

I think you would always see a heartbeat at 7 weeks but people's dates can really be off by a week or so due to unknown exact timing of ovulation, conception and implantation. So even if you know your last period was on X and you only had sex on X date, you still might be a fair few days off.

I hope you get good news OP, all could be fine, but do prepare yourself.

1Kellymcgee1 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:14:52

Thank you everyone for your comments unfortunately I went for an internal scan to be told there was no heartbeat I’m so upset xx

Onefliesoverthecuckoosnest Tue 24-Oct-17 21:19:02

So Sorry Kelly; is someone with you for support? What are the next steps? I feel for you. I hope that you are managing.flowers

CammieKennaway Tue 24-Oct-17 21:36:03

Oh I'm so sorry sad
I lost 4 babies at between 4 and 9 weeks and it's devastating.
Sending you so much love xxxx

YerTiz Tue 24-Oct-17 21:38:36

So sorry flowers have been where you are, be kind to yourself.

1Kellymcgee1 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:44:50

Thank you, yes I go in for e-vac were they put u to sleep Friday I’m guttered! I have a lot of support around me 💔💔

Polly99 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:59:03

Kelly, I’m so sorry. It’s truly awful, I know. Take care.

user1499786242 Sun 29-Oct-17 19:19:09

So sorry to hear that! I wish I had gone to hospital rather than stayed at home! I'm so glad you have lots of support! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now