Talk

Advanced search

NCT sale what do I need to look out for?!

(10 Posts)
Tigger83 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:01:05

Hi all I’m off to an NCT sale in a few weeks and although I have a kind of list I’d be really interested to know what you think I should look out for?!

So far we have bought a cot bed and a crib and some clothes and that’s it really.

I’m going to be looking for:
a carrier/sling one that I can wear day to day from newborn and one my oh can wear on walks... any recommendations?

I’d like a sleepyhead

A bouncer

A playmat

What else??

Thanks 😀

MoodyOne Sun 22-Oct-17 08:06:08

With a sling I would suggest going to a sling library once the baby is born as different sling suit different babies, a sling library you can try all different ones and then buy the one you like x

Argeles Sun 22-Oct-17 08:07:30

A baby monitor perhaps, for when baby is a bit older and moves into another room.

Toddler changing station, or the wooden section removable changing piece you can use on top of the cot when they’re very little.

Some clothes.

moggle Sun 22-Oct-17 08:11:30

I'm not sure you'll find a sleepyhead anymore. There are updated guidelines since the baby positioner recall and though I know the sleepyheads aren't specifically excluded by the recall, the NCT guidance isn't very clear (IMO) so I suspect they won't sell them.

Tigger83 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:14:16

Thank you! Was thinking of a sling library for the every day sling for me but for my oh thought maybe an ergo?

Defo look at clothes, think we’re sorted for the wooden part of the changing station (oh is building onto a chest of drawers we brought to upcycle!)

Would I find something like a chair at nct?

Tigger83 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:15:11

Oh and any recommendations on a baby monitor??

scaredofthecity Sun 22-Oct-17 08:17:38

I went to a few NCT sales and found they were great for decent quality clothes and a few toys and books, but there wasn't a lot else there. Things like good slings and sleepyheads have a high resale value and so people sell them separately, as they can't charge that much at the NCT sale.
Id just go with an open mind and see what's on offer, remember it is essentially a (much better organised!) jumble sale. FB selling sites are usually pretty good for the other bits.

EssentialHummus Sun 22-Oct-17 08:17:41

I’ve got a six week old, so in the thick of it.

Wouldn’t get a Sleepyhead until you know you need one.

Bouncy chair- yes, it’s been a hit here from very early.

Playmat - not really of use yet here, I’d buy if there’s a particularly good deal or you have the storage for it.

Sling - library, as others have said. I was adamant I’d not feel comfortable with a fabric wrap, bought an ErgoBaby, you can guess what happened next.

Clothes - they wear some things for five minutes, so I’d completely buy some stuff used. I personally think outfits are a waste (mine is in sleepsuits 24/7) but it’s up to you.

Baby bath - I found invaluable, if not used then new for £16 at Mothercare. Or use your sink to begin with.

Pram/buggy - I’d buy used if possible and you find a good condition one you like. We ended up with an ex-display Cosatto for £240 instead of £500, without much trying. They are expensive new so something to buy used if you can, imo.

Whereisthebuzz Sun 22-Oct-17 08:18:58

A nursing chair could be nice...even just for sitting back in if your baby has fallen asleep in the sling.
Close Caboo would be a good sling from birth.

moggle Sun 22-Oct-17 08:44:04

Our NCT sells bulky stuff (including a birthing pool!) separately beforehand via the FB page, maybe yours does the same?
Re baths, there are always tons on FB selling pages which usually end up going for a few quid as there are so many of them. We had to give ours away in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now