Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

When to tell work.

(8 Posts)
Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:37:53

Hi guys. This is my second pregnancy and last time I waited until the 12 weeks point to let work know but I'm now in a completely different job. I work for London Underground and the conditions of my work I feel could affect my pregnancy. Firstly I'm Lone working, and can come across quite unsavoury people. Secondly I work night shifts which are now killing me (hence the 2:30 am post) and also I'm in a position where if there was a problem I would be expected to access a track, with live current.
I am only 5weeks pregnant so don't feel ready to tell them incase anything happens - but at the same time if anything did happen I would regret not saying anything.
Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

Misssmoo Sun 22-Oct-17 02:41:06

As soon as you tell them they have a duty of care so sooner the better really..they can't tell anyone it a confidential xxx

laurajayne3 Sun 22-Oct-17 02:47:11

I would tell them as soon as it affects ur health. So maybe now if nights are affecting u and u cud change ur shift? Regardless how.long you've been there they can't sack u because you're pregnant if that's what your worried about? If u are, then just make sure u give them no reason to sack u on other grounds if they tried to be sly. And if ur ever off sick through pregnancy related illness. Make sure u tell them it's pregnancy related as they have to record it differently than normal sick x

Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:48:39

Thanks missmoo. I didn't expect a reply at this hour lol. I suppose it's the best thing to do in the long run- just worry something might happen.

Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:49:34

Laurajayne I'm not worried about losing my job, it's just more people finding out and it's still so early something could happen x

laurajayne3 Sun 22-Oct-17 02:54:06

I know. Sorry I just reread ur post 🙈 I mustn't have read it properly. Losing my job was my worry. They definitely aren't allowed to tell anyone as it's confidential. Just tell the nessesary ppl

Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:55:20

Lol well it is 3am so understandable. Thanks for your advice smile

Frisbeefreedom Sun 22-Oct-17 04:56:59

I told my manager and HR early, in confidence. I figured if something went wrong then I would need some time off and I'd rather they knew to support me. We just told other people that I was changing working pattern for medical reasons. Hopefully you can trust that they'll keep it confidential for you - do tell them that you expect confidentiality !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: