Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to tell work.

(8 Posts)
Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:37:53

Hi guys. This is my second pregnancy and last time I waited until the 12 weeks point to let work know but I'm now in a completely different job. I work for London Underground and the conditions of my work I feel could affect my pregnancy. Firstly I'm Lone working, and can come across quite unsavoury people. Secondly I work night shifts which are now killing me (hence the 2:30 am post) and also I'm in a position where if there was a problem I would be expected to access a track, with live current.
I am only 5weeks pregnant so don't feel ready to tell them incase anything happens - but at the same time if anything did happen I would regret not saying anything.
Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

Misssmoo Sun 22-Oct-17 02:41:06

As soon as you tell them they have a duty of care so sooner the better really..they can't tell anyone it a confidential xxx

laurajayne3 Sun 22-Oct-17 02:47:11

I would tell them as soon as it affects ur health. So maybe now if nights are affecting u and u cud change ur shift? Regardless how.long you've been there they can't sack u because you're pregnant if that's what your worried about? If u are, then just make sure u give them no reason to sack u on other grounds if they tried to be sly. And if ur ever off sick through pregnancy related illness. Make sure u tell them it's pregnancy related as they have to record it differently than normal sick x

Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:48:39

Thanks missmoo. I didn't expect a reply at this hour lol. I suppose it's the best thing to do in the long run- just worry something might happen.

Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:49:34

Laurajayne I'm not worried about losing my job, it's just more people finding out and it's still so early something could happen x

laurajayne3 Sun 22-Oct-17 02:54:06

I know. Sorry I just reread ur post 🙈 I mustn't have read it properly. Losing my job was my worry. They definitely aren't allowed to tell anyone as it's confidential. Just tell the nessesary ppl

Lilleahw Sun 22-Oct-17 02:55:20

Lol well it is 3am so understandable. Thanks for your advice smile

Frisbeefreedom Sun 22-Oct-17 04:56:59

I told my manager and HR early, in confidence. I figured if something went wrong then I would need some time off and I'd rather they knew to support me. We just told other people that I was changing working pattern for medical reasons. Hopefully you can trust that they'll keep it confidential for you - do tell them that you expect confidentiality !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now