Talk

Advanced search

Flying during early pregnancy

(13 Posts)
Shammeyuk Sat 21-Oct-17 23:12:30

I will be just under 10 weeks and have a 2hr55min flight booked for a weekend away. We have already cancelled a holiday in December due to Zika virus.
Reading up it mainly says you are fine to travel at this stage, you may just struggle with the morning sickness and tiredness.
Has anyone else flown this early?
Thanks

ValentineFizz Sat 21-Oct-17 23:26:46

Hi there, l flew to the Indian ocean earlier this year - approx 12 hour flight - at 6 weeks them home at 8 weeks, only thing l did differently was to wear flight socks to prevent DVT. Also informed my holiday insurer.

Hope this helps!

Shammeyuk Sat 21-Oct-17 23:30:55

Ah that's great thank you.

Foggymist Sun 22-Oct-17 04:18:20

It's fine to fly in pregnancy, I flew to France and back (4 hour flight) at 14/15 weeks.

ChangingStates Sun 22-Oct-17 04:34:07

Flew to China at 8 weld, and back 10 days later. It was fine, ended up having to have one doing Day and one more relaxed day on holiday though as was tired

ChangingStates Sun 22-Oct-17 04:34:26

8 week’s!

ChangingStates Sun 22-Oct-17 04:34:46

Weeks ffs

HandbagFan Sun 22-Oct-17 04:42:09

I flew right through my last pregnancy and will be through this one too. No need to worry.

I did get nosebleeds though once in the sky!

Last time I flew for the last time at 28 weeks and the only thing was the seat belt started to get tight!

Phryne Sun 22-Oct-17 07:34:40

Yes, I've flown loads too (8h yesterday 5w) and it's fine. Just treat yourself gently eg pack snacks if you feel sick or accept you'll be spending a ton on diet Coke from the trolley or whatever you need.

Shammeyuk Sun 22-Oct-17 09:10:23

Great thank you all, I hadn't thought too much about it as I looked a while back and then my sister asked me today and it put me on alert. Thanks again for the reassurance

nattergal Sun 22-Oct-17 09:26:49

I'll be flying to South Africa for 4 days when I'll be 8 weeks. I'm just worried incase anything goes wrong (i.e. bleeding) while I'm there, but I've read that as long as you wear flight socks, drink plenty of water and move around a lot the actual flight should be fine

mindutopia Sun 22-Oct-17 10:56:16

Yes, absolutely fine. Especially for such a short flight, you won't notice any other difference, except no indulging in the airport bar! I flew 3 times early in my first pregnancy at 8 weeks (10 hour flight), 9 weeks (6 hour flight) and 10 weeks (11 hour flight). I also flew in this one, but only a short flight (an hour). As it's not long, there isn't much you really need to do differently, though I'd suggest getting an aisle seat (you may need to use the toilet more than usual) and packing your own drinks and snacks (as you may not be able to eat or drink what they offer if you are really nauseous). Ideally, I would get up and walk around and stretch more too, but it's a short flight so you won't need to worry about that as much as on a long flight.

Also, I'd recommend getting travel insurance and making sure you get a policy that covers emergency pregnancy care (most should, but just read the small print).

ForeverHopeful21 Sun 22-Oct-17 17:30:08

This link was given to me by my midwife when we flew abroad at 11 weeks:
www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/pregnancy/air-travel-pregnancy.pdf

Even for our short 3 hour flight I still wore flight socks and I tried to get up and walk about every 20-30 minutes. I did lots of leg stretches and drank plenty of water.
For sickness and nausea, I took loads of hard boiled sweets - Fox's Glacier Fruits were heaven when I was feeling grim.
Like someone else mentioned I also took out a high level of cover medical insurance just for piece of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now