Talk

Advanced search

Baby carrier

(10 Posts)
Wings13 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:28:58

Hey all, looking at getting a baby carrier for new baba. Does anyone know anything about the ergobaby ones? Or are there any other good ones- prefer one from birth if possible!

Callamia Sat 21-Oct-17 17:32:17

I used an ergo with my eldest. It was excellent and lasted him for three years being used pretty much every day.

This time I have a slightly less bulky one too, but it doesn't come with a newborn insert.

Sling libraries are a great idea to give you an idea of what's out there, and what might work well for you. You should be able to find your local one's Facebook page and go and visit.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 17:33:00

Soft structured carriers like the ergo are better from 4 months or so imo. Some of them need an infant insert of some kind for smaller babies and they can be quite bulky and hot. My favourite option for a newborn is something like the Close Caboo or a soft stretchy wrap - lighter and more suited to a newborns proportions, plus easy to tuck the head in.

Personally I use a soft stretchy (the AmaWrap) - it takes a tiny bit of practice but is then very easy and you can pre-wrap and then just slot baby in. A Caboo is an alternative option if you are nervous about learning to wrap and tie. Don't get me wrong, soft structured carriers are awesome later on though. I favour the Tula but it's all about personal preference.

A sort of halfway house a lot of people love is the Connecta - it's a soft structured carrier technically but less bulky and padded than most and can be used with newborns.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 18:49:10

Oh, and if you can't get to a physical sling library to try stuff out, Itsaslingthing is amazing.

mindutopia Sat 21-Oct-17 19:45:02

Ergo baby is great, but they are much more for active pursuits, being up and walking around, doing the shopping, long dog walks, etc. If you want something to use around the house, where you can comfortably sit, do the washing up, bend over to pick something up, a stretchy wrap is much more comfortable and practical (also more affordable). Moby or close caboo are both good and there are loads of others on Amazon if you have a look, just get a decent brand with good reviews.

Cakescakescakes Sat 21-Oct-17 19:47:18

I had an ergo but preferred the Close Caboo for first 4 months or so. It has the soft snuggliness of a stretchy wrap but without having to tie it. Very easy to use and suitable from day 1.

Wings13 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:24:36

Thanks all,will look into slings as well but looking for something dh can wear too and if he wears a carrier that will be doing well for him smile

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 22:09:46

What about a Connecta then? It's sufficiently masculine for most and softer and less bulky for a tiny baby. It's not that the Ergo isn't great, I just wouldn't call it the ideal solution for a newborn.

You can buy quality carriers secondhand quite easily and usually sell them for what you paid for them or pretty close if you take good care of them. Renting is great to try stuff before you commit too.

Connectas at It's a Sling Thing

Orangebird69 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:12:57

Close Caboos are lovely for newborns and quite easy to out on. Connectas are popular too but I preferred the Caboo when ds was newborn as it was so soft and really cradled him. Imo connectas are great once they're not so tiny. Find your local sling library.

Phryne Sun 22-Oct-17 07:46:33

Had an ergo but DP couldn't fit his shoulders in it (told him to stop going to the gym but he preferred to buy a different sling). I loved different ones at different ages: close Caboo 0-4 months, ergo 4-12, toddler connecta 12-24+ (still using it). There are loads second hand so it doesn't need to cost a bomb

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now