Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Third trimester constipation...

(16 Posts)
tootsieglitterballs Fri 20-Oct-17 20:36:23

Far too much info, but I’ve gone from having 3 days of being on the loo non stop to not being able to go for the last 48 hours.

Any suggestions of things safe to try towards the end of pregnancy (35 weeks)

Drinking a glass of OJ a day, whole grain bread, drinking water , eating fruit etc

Aureservoir Fri 20-Oct-17 20:39:57

Lactulose <<bleurgh>>

FunnyBird Fri 20-Oct-17 20:46:22

Fybogel

engineeringmummy Fri 20-Oct-17 23:37:40

My midwife told me to phone the GP to tell them I am pregnant and constipated which is apparently very common. GP had a prescription of pregnancy safe laxitives waiting at reception by the afternoon. Might be worth giving them a phone call?

teacuptale Fri 20-Oct-17 23:49:07

I highly recommend Allbran. It helped me a lot.

KCpip Fri 20-Oct-17 23:55:51

Porridge for breakfast!

Lozmatoz Sat 21-Oct-17 07:36:59

Prunes! Also agree, get prescription from docs

tootsieglitterballs Sat 21-Oct-17 09:36:35

Thanks everyone!

Our docs is closed until Monday, but I’m there to see the midwife anyhow so I’ll ask then and hopefully get something sorted.

I’ve gone from non stop shitting to the other end of the scale...

Moanyoldcow Sat 21-Oct-17 10:41:08

Lactulose and fybogel. Life savers both of them.

SeatOfMyPants Sat 21-Oct-17 10:46:52

You can get laculose at chemist

ChocolatePancake Sat 21-Oct-17 11:24:35

suppository (glycerin) is the only thing that would help me

GingerHanna Sat 21-Oct-17 11:27:05

I’m eating half a dozen dates and dried apricots a day which has helped immensely. Plus there have been some studies that six dates a date in last weeks helps labor, so might as well! Picked up for decent money at local market rather than expensive shop ones!

Stopyourhavering Sat 21-Oct-17 11:31:04

As an interminable measure until you can get fybogel/ movicol/ laxido ....Prunes, dried apricots , hot coffee ( or tea)and dark chocolate!!

Stopyourhavering Sat 21-Oct-17 11:31:54

* intermediate confused

tootsieglitterballs Sat 21-Oct-17 12:44:44

Ladies, you will all be delighted to know, I have successfully been 😂!

I think the combination of dates, strong coffee, orange juice, an orange and last nights Moroccan may have helped!!

RemainOptimistic Sat 21-Oct-17 12:56:13

Get on the phone to gp, they should be able to prescribe over the phone if your surgery do phone appts (just ask). Movicol or other powder that you make into a drink. Plus if you get things on prescription it's free with exemption cert. You will probably want something ready for after birth too so that the first loo visit is as gentle as possible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: