Talk

Advanced search

Hospital stay after c section

(34 Posts)
mysecret321 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:30:37

Hiya everyone! So I know it depends on individual circumstances but I was wondering how long you had to stay in hospital after your c section? Also has anybody got any tips for good/quick recovery?

tootsieglitterballs Fri 20-Oct-17 20:34:04

Emergency section on an evening I was in 2 nights. Planned sections are normally only 1 nights I believe, 2 if you wish.

Tryingtokeepfit Fri 20-Oct-17 20:35:34

I stayed 7 nights. But it was due to myself and baby developing an infection. It wasn't related to the c section.

Tips for recovery would be to keep on top of pain relief after and take it regularly. Also rest. If you over do it, you will pay for it!
Good luck x

tissuesosoft Fri 20-Oct-17 20:35:51

I had a CS at about 10am, spinal wore off by 2 and I was up and walking (with catheter) by 4pm, catheter out the next morning and discharged at 2pm

Floralnomad Fri 20-Oct-17 20:36:14

I had mine 18 years ago and I stayed 2 nights , but baby was slightly jaundiced and feeding very badly .

secretnutter Fri 20-Oct-17 20:38:19

2 c sections here, first was emergency due to breech, second was due to failure to progress in labour, I was out (on my request) after 24hours with both, I don’t like hospitals sad and knew I would recover better at home, if that’s what you want too, write in your birth plan to go home as soon as possible! Good luck flowers

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Fri 20-Oct-17 20:39:49

I had my c section at 10pm on a Friday night and we was allowed home Monday night.
Could have gone home earlier but baby and I had suspected infection from waters being broken for so long.

As far as recovery, keep the wound clean, get up and move as often as possible but don't over do it!! Eat and drink well too.

sleepykidsplease Fri 20-Oct-17 20:41:07

Baby born on Wednesday evening and was discharged on Friday lunchtime. Would have been out earlier but I was waiting for the pain relief and injections to be dropped off to me!

eurochick Fri 20-Oct-17 20:41:16

I stayed two nights but only just over 36 hrs from surgery as I had my section at 9:30pm.

NerrSnerr Fri 20-Oct-17 20:43:12

My first I was in for about 5 days as I’d had a big bleed. The second I was in for 2 days afterwards.

Notlostjustexploring Fri 20-Oct-17 20:46:05

Section late morning on the Tuesday, ready to leave early afternoon on the Thursday.
If I'd felt so inclined I could probably have pushed for going home on the Wednesday.
Tips for recovery would be:
Take all the drugs they offer. Oramorph is particularly nice stuff, but keep on top of it.
Move slowly and deliberately, but do move
Drink lots of water
Peppermint tea
Take it easy

Good luck!

AnonEvent Fri 20-Oct-17 20:46:06

I stayed 24 hours after an EMCS. I left due to pure bloody mindedness - I just wanted my own bed.

I had to meet their requirements to be discharged, particularly my iron levels had to normalise (of lost some blood) and I had to be waking around/functioning.

It probably would have been better for my recovery to stay a second night, but was exhausted (long labour) and just wanted to get home.

babypeach Fri 20-Oct-17 20:46:51

Hi OP, usual is 2 nights. The day of your procedure and one more after that. Main things they'll want to do in terms of your recovery are take out your catheter and check you can pass urine ok and for that to work they'll want you to be able to mobilise (with pain relief) so that can take a while. They won't want you to go home till they're sure you can wee properly so you generally need to catch and let them measure 3 wees. They'll also want yo remove your dressing usually.
Obviously as you said this can vary a lot depending on how things go with you and then also establishing feeding and your baby's condition too.

Make sure you ask for as much pain relief as you need but do try to mobilise when you can. If someone can be there during the day and overnight to help you that can be really really useful, just to get you drinks, help you care for baby etc as staff are stretched on postnatal wards.

Best of luck with everything!

Xx

Topsyloulou Fri 20-Oct-17 20:49:32

I had DS at 3pm on a Friday & was discharged on Monday lunch time. I could have gone on the Sunday but had a bit of a dizzy spell so decided to stay an extra night.

Had my consultant appointment today to book my elcs & he mentioned that they now do enhanced recovery so could go home the next day this time. Given how I was 24 hours after DS I think it's too soon but that was emcs, I had an infection & had been induced so was shattered so might recover better this time. Will keep an open mind & see how I am at the time.

IamMoana Fri 20-Oct-17 20:54:21

Elective at 5 to mid day, discharged by lunch the next day. Barely 24 hours. I wish I'd pushed to stay longer but beds and staff were in short supply.

laketaupo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:10:03

Watching , as due to have an elective myself in 4 weeks time, hoping for a 24 hour discharge as have something to go to at 48 hours post op!

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 22:21:20

AVOID CONSTIPATION AT ALL COSTS.

I got an impacted bowel about 5 days post EMCS and it was horrific.

I had the CS for failed induction on a Monday night, few hours in High Dependency Unit, then to the ward early hours of Tuesday morning. Discharged Thursday late morning.

Keep on top of pain meds and I used diluted dettol to keep my scar clean.

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 22:22:28

Lake - er... can you reschedule? I doubt you'll be 'outing ready' 48 hours post CS!

KadabrasSpoon Fri 20-Oct-17 22:26:28

EMCS - 8 nights but more because DS was premature and poorly and wasn't feeding than anything to do with the section.
ELCS - 2 nights. I was in theatre quite late in the day due to emergencies and DD needed observation otherwise it could've been sooner. Very straightforward recovery.

Tips:
Drink lots of water. Bring a sports water bottle as you won't be able to get up at first.
Air the scar as much as possible
Take it easy. Even if the outside looks good there's internal layers of stitches. I know a few women that have overdone it and ended up back I'm hospital.

MyfatheristheKing Fri 20-Oct-17 22:35:20

My EMCS I was in for five days but I was quite unwell, baby was fine.
My two planned sections after that I was in for two nights each. Although back in with DC2 a few days later as developed a blood clot in my leg.

Top tip would be to take it easy. I know it’s hard sometimes to just chill, but do just chill. Don’t be cleaning the house and scrubbing the bath at three days post op. Trust me, it’s not good!

I found big granny pants the best to wear, that way they came right up past my scar. I also preferred night dresses as didn’t want anything near my waist and it was a little less effort when nurses come to check you or you need the loo.

Keep on top of your pain relief and keep your wound clean and dry. If you have an over hang on your tummy then lay down a few times a day and lift your tummy up so it can get air to it.

mrsnoon Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:44

2 nights after my first - baby born at 9am, catheter taken out the following morning and I felt totally shit. 1 night after my second - born at 10 am, catheter out that evening but was awake half the night as I couldn't pee then ready for discharge mid afternoon.

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Fri 20-Oct-17 22:50:33

@laketaupo 100% wouldn't recommend going out anywhere that soon after a c section. You'll still be in a fair amount of pain and will want to do nothing other than sit and relax and frankly, sitting and relaxing is what you should be doing after major abdominal surgery.

washingmachinefastwash Fri 20-Oct-17 22:57:51

Best thing I did after my cesarean was walk about when I felt able. This meant I wasn’t going stiff and it eased all my muscles off, I had minimal pain after it.

TheWildOnes Fri 20-Oct-17 23:00:43

I've had 3 sections
1st was an EmCS and was in for 3 night
2nd was ElCS and was in for 3 nights
3rd was ElCS and was only in for one night. It was ridiculously busy and they needed the bed.

laketaupo Fri 20-Oct-17 23:03:59

I have an active toddler at home so chances of sitting and relaxing are minimal to none, have been told by a fair few friends plus some who are HCP's that I should be totally fine to get going but will see how it goes. Can give it a miss of course but would prefer not to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now