Talk

Advanced search

Heartburn!

(27 Posts)
GrapesAreMyJam Fri 20-Oct-17 17:31:53

Is there anything that isn’t Gaviscon or milk that is good for heartburn?

ethelfleda Fri 20-Oct-17 18:01:39

Go to your docs and see if he will prescribe you something. My doctor put me on ranitidine and I take one in the evening. It's been a God send and I've slept much more since taking it! Still need the odd swig of Gaviscon but nothing like before.

catiinbo0ts Fri 20-Oct-17 18:04:53

Lots and lots of water 💦 Ss much as you can drink without peeing yourself!

I feel your pain OP. My pregnancy heartburn stopped me having a third baby. I couldn't face it again.

Gaviscon (pink bottle) worked well for me but I think I eventually went to the GP and got some tablets I can't remember the name of,

Try sleeping propped up,

Your baby will be hairy BTW grin

Oldschool41 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:33:13

Ive had terrible heartburn. Horrible isn't it. I take gaviscon but I just swig from the bottle and take the bottle everywhere 😜

catiinbo0ts Fri 20-Oct-17 18:41:41

I used to carry the bottle in my handbag and swig out of it all the time like some dodgy junky grin

Fluteytootey Fri 20-Oct-17 18:44:56

I've had terrible heartburn and was prescribed ranitidine and when that stopped working, omeprazole. Mine was so bad that I had a permanent cough! Magic stuff!

Twinkie1 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:14:32

Yogurt. Had a lovely, very old, little tiny, Indian Doctor walk in on me heavily pregnant, puking acid into the toilet bowl whilst pissing onto a pile of towels every time I threw up and then coughed as acid had burnt my throat. I was desperate and knew I looked hideous and vile but it bloody worked.

SomehowSomewhere1 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:23:01

I'm off to the docs on Monday for a prescription as can't sleep with it.

Lozmatoz Fri 20-Oct-17 19:34:53

Those little fruit chalky things, like tums or rennies

InThisTogether Fri 20-Oct-17 20:21:19

Omeprazole from the doc... honestly it's totally changed my everyday life. I was getting through a bottle of gaviscon every 2 days and since having omeprazole I haven't had any in the last 4 weeks. can't recomnend it enough!

GrapesAreMyJam Fri 20-Oct-17 22:36:14

Every time I’ve had Gaviscon I’ve very swiftly brought it back up. So that’s an experience I’m not willing to have happen again :D

Roxx1516 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:03:25

Zantac/ranitidine 👍🏼

ChocolatePancake Sat 21-Oct-17 13:26:46

@catiinbo0ts I had heartburn that radiated me with my youngest and he had very little hair! Lol. He still has quite thin hair, compared to my eldest who has very thick hair (no heartburn with him at all)

OP I just learned to avoid foods which made it worse (seemingly everything). It was awful though and I definitely feel for you flowers

ChocolatePancake Sat 21-Oct-17 13:38:08

@catiinbo0ts I had heartburn that radiated me with my youngest and he had very little hair! Lol. He still has quite thin hair, compared to my eldest who has very thick hair (no heartburn with him at all)

OP I just learned to avoid foods which made it worse (seemingly everything). It was awful though and I definitely feel for you flowers

OutComeTheWolves Sat 21-Oct-17 13:41:31

Yup ranitidine- get it on prescription. It's the dogs bollocks!

GrapesAreMyJam Sat 21-Oct-17 14:01:30

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve been getting ranatidine from the shops but it’s no longer doing anything to help.

I’m seeing my midwife on Monday so I’ll try and get something then

lollipop7 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:55:47

Over the counter rantitidine isn’t as strong
You need the prescription strength stuff.

Saved my sanity three pregnancies running.

meltingmarshmallows Sat 21-Oct-17 22:01:48

In the interim have you tried mint gaviscon? The original flavoured Sambuca tasting horror made me vomit every time. Mint is still gross but considerably more palatable!

NoParticularPattern Sat 21-Oct-17 22:06:59

Oh good I’ve found my people! I no longer feel alone! Not that I’m ever alone since I’m always accompanied by my trusty pal “Rennie”!

I eat Rennies like they’re sweets and I also drink gallons of full fat milk. Can’t bear gaviscon I’m any form- it’s all revolting and just makes me throw up, which makes the burning worse. I also can’t drink large amounts of water because that also makes it worse! I can sip or drink reasonable amounts, but if I’m thirsty and desperate for a drink I can’t just down it or I’ll then need half a pack of rennies.

I’m getting twitchy since I only have one rennie left and I can’t get any more til tomorrow afternoon!! Hoping tonight isn’t as bad as last night!!

lollipop7 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:15:50

I can’t stand gsviscon either it’s like drinking glue flavoured with krusha. I threw up everywhere after one swig.
I can’t drink cold milk at all either so I’m fucked.
Omeprazole is food and ranitidine works wonders for me but you have to take,r it preemptively twice a day. If I don’t I ca not eat or drink a thing and am reduced to tears.

It was quite bad with my son but my daughter is was utterly horrific. I felt like I had battery acid in my throat. She had tonnes of thick black hair when she was born. Never fell out. I’m about to have my second son any day now and it’s been as bad as with her. They have bee laughing on scans that you can see his hair.

Not long to find out.
I’m always intrigued by this old wives tale as it was very true for me once looking like twice. First son was quite hairy but not off the wall.

And it’s so strange how as soon as baby is here - well in my case - it just vanishes!

Binglesplodge Sat 21-Oct-17 23:40:02

Omeprazole on prescription is a total miracle medicine. Take once a day and the gaviscon drinking will be over! Both pregnancies I've waited until I'm getting through bottles of Gaviscon and then wished I'd gone to the doc sooner. Hope you get it sorted quickly: it's terrible when you are being burned from the inside.

GrapesAreMyJam Sun 22-Oct-17 01:02:11

It not so much the taste, I really hate the consistency and texture of it. I may try some yogurt in the meantime. My mum keeps telling me to have a glass of milk, but I hate milk as well grin

LanaBanana07 Sun 22-Oct-17 02:34:22

Lemonade!! I was complaining about heartburn at work and a lady suggested lemonade. Went out and bought a bottle, and it was gone within 30 mins! xx

Emu31 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:50:32

The heartburn is awful, it makes me sick too. I find milk really soothing but apparently the fats in it actually make it worse (as does everything I like apparently!). I spoke to a GP friend who has suffered with this and she said omeprezole is a wonder drug and really helped.

OutComeTheWolves Sun 22-Oct-17 22:04:45

Yeah to pp who have said about milk or yoghurt- apparently it makes matters worse as it temporarily neutralises the acid and then your body reacts by producing even more.

Disclaimer- I got this info from Dr Google so it may not be correct, but my extensive experience of heartburn does back it up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now