Talk

Advanced search

Would you say well need a double buggy? If so what's the best ones?

(21 Posts)
Bippitybopityboo Thu 19-Oct-17 16:51:38

DS will be 23 months old when baby is born if everything goes ok. Not sure if we're going to need a double buggy for them? Anyone have this age gap who can advise don't really like the though of a buggy board and dont want to break the bank! Thanks

Oly5 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:55:22

Yes I'd get a double buggy for that age gap. Buggy boards are a total pain and your eldest will still want to nap/get in the pushchair on holiday/on long walks.
Look for a second hand one. I've had a Phil and Teds and a city jogger double. Neither is perfect but the side by side lasted longer and the kids liked being next to each other

BalloonGordon Thu 19-Oct-17 17:49:19

I'm expecting the same age gap and am not getting a double buggy, but my toddler is a very confident walker. I imagine it would be useful when you need them both to stay put, like travelling by public transport!

Loosemoose28 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:06:56

Sling for little one and buggy for toddler?

In my head I think I would do that. Pregnant with my first but know if all is well I wabr a small gap and hopefully then no. 2. I have been looking at iCandy as they can double if needed but I wouldn't want a side by side one I don't think.

AddictedToSausageRolls Thu 19-Oct-17 23:13:43

I have a 2 year age gap and borrowed a double buggy. I’m so glad we didn’t buy one. I barely used it - my eldest wants to walk or go on the buggy board and on a very few occasions I put the baby in a sling and the toddler in the buggy. The only time I felt it was useful was when we were at the airport going on holiday!
Personally I wouldn’t bother unless you plan to be out walking a lot with them. If you can, see if you can borrow/rent one first to see if you like it/get use out of it. Or buy a cheap secondhand one to “test” before committing serious money.
Good luck!

AnnaT45 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:21:04

I have 19 month age gap. That double bugged saved my sanity. When it all got much I would bundle them in and we'd go for a long walk. Older one would easily tire so needed it. I also needed it when shopping etc as liked to have toddler strapped in to avoid running off! We got a britax be agile. Was about £250 I think and folds flat. Really lovely to steer and loads of storage!

I did also use the sling a lot too!

Good luck with it all!

TriJo Thu 19-Oct-17 23:25:39

We're going to have a 22.5 month gap. I'm planning to get a double buggy I can run with, most likely the Out n About Nipper double. My son is a late walker (independent walking at 17 months, 19 months now) so he'll still need a buggy for a good while.

Mrsfrumble Thu 19-Oct-17 23:30:51

It depends on your lifestyle and how much walking you do. Do you have a car? Do you have a strict routine with the children where they need to be at home for naps at set times, or will they be "buggy nappers"? Do you have space for a double?

I survived for the first few months of a 23 month age gap with the toddler in a single and the new baby in a sling. We were living in central London and just didn't have space for a double! Then we moved and I had a Phil & Teds Navigator which I loved. But then I didn't have a car, walked miles and miles every day, and my toddler was not the biddable sort who would stand sensibly on the buggy board for any length of time.

WinteryWalk Thu 19-Oct-17 23:31:26

Get the double buggy! With mine I found that even if the older one didn’t really need a buggy as much sometimes it was just so much easier to have them both safely in the same place, especially by busy roads etc. One running off all over the place whilst trying to manage a baby in a buggy - nightmare!

ForestDad Thu 19-Oct-17 23:35:24

what Mrsfumble said, depends how much you need to walk both of them. Do you drive everywhere and then get into supermarket trolley etc. or walk.

+ we got a 2nd hand cityjogger city select double for our [large] 22 month gappers. Heavy but solid which you need for the weight you're going to put on it. Had it for about a year and could fit a few days' shopping in the bottom. Bit of a front-wheel shimmy at speed if there wasn't enough weight at the front though.
Friends have had icandy doubles which look neat.

Frustratedboarder Thu 19-Oct-17 23:42:06

Out'n'about Double - they are amazing!! Always jump on these threads to sing their praises.... You won't regret it! grin

HurtyTeeth Thu 19-Oct-17 23:49:24

Uppababy vista is great. Buy the 2015 tandem convertible version and loads on eBay for reasonable prices. Consistent top reviews as well. It's great.

leosayershair Thu 19-Oct-17 23:52:59

25 months between mine - November & Deember born.

I bought a second hand Phil & Ted & loved it. Had a really bad winter that year, didn't drive then but found it easy to manoeuvre & get on & off public transport. Very little space for any shopping so also had buggy hooks.

By the end of the summer I sold it & oldest had a buggy board.

Oysterbabe Fri 20-Oct-17 07:56:50

We'll have the same gap and I have just bought one. DD is a late walker and wouldn't use a buggy board. I walk a lot and wanted to be able to throw them both in the buggy and go out every day. DD still loves a long nap so I'll need it if we're not at home at naptime. It does depend on your lifestyle.
We have the Mountain buggy duet, which is narrowest side by side. You can buy the latest model as a single but with a free family pack to convert to a double for about £450. The family pack includes a carrycot and a seat. I felt I needed a carrycot to keep my winter baby cosy.

Jenala Fri 20-Oct-17 08:01:38

We had a 24m gap and just used a buggy board. Why don't you like the idea of it? My 2 year old loves it. Sometimes we walk miles and he walks then buggy boards when tired. We don't use it everyday though, I guess it night be different If you don't drive.

lorisparkle Fri 20-Oct-17 08:14:07

I had a 21 months gap between ds1 and ds2. I decided to do sling / buggy board instead of a double and regretted it after the first few weeks and bought a second hand Phil and ted. It was great and when I had ds3 he adored sleeping snuggled up under ds2. In an ideal world, if I had known I would definitely have a small age gap, I would have bought one of the doubles were you can convert easily between one or two and had them both facing me but I did not want to presume I would get pregnant so quickly.

lorisparkle Fri 20-Oct-17 08:18:16

The reasons I regretted not having a double were - ds1 was hard work and could not be guaranteed to walk where and when you wanted him to. I generally found the sling hard work. If I wanted to get them both to sleep I was left ‘carrying the baby’ so then could not enjoy my 5 minutes peace in quite the same way.

lornathewizzard Fri 20-Oct-17 09:47:08

We have a 2 year gap and baby is now 15months old and we still use it. It’s only now getting to be a bit of a pain as they’re both quite big so it’s heavy.
But would have really struggled without it for days out or containment!

We have a Phil and Teds, got it on eBay for £200

lornathewizzard Fri 20-Oct-17 09:48:10

Oh and we’ve just bought a rucksack carrier for the baby and I’ve still been using the Phil and teds for dd (3)

ChocolatePancake Fri 20-Oct-17 14:02:47

I think it depends on your nearly-2 year old. Mine would have hated being in a buggy that age because they loved walking everywhere, whereas my friends child was in a buggy until they were about 4, so it really depends on your child

Bippitybopityboo Fri 20-Oct-17 15:55:43

Thankyou all.
DS is a very confident walker and we do drive but there's no way I can see him happily staying on a buggy board.
I thibk we will look into a double maybe something 2nd hand so if we don't get the use out of it its ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now