Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fragmin (after IVF) when will it stop?

(9 Posts)
Arlington77 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:16:54

Hi ladies,
I've been injecting the super-stinging Fragmin now for (what feels like) months and my thighs look like some kind of modern art sicko joke, black and blue and green with bruises :-) I'm now 6 weeks + 4 days (I can't even believe I'm typing that, it's still unreal!) just wondered if anyone else is still injecting Fragmin, and how long you have to continue. Also are you continuing with the Cyclogest suppositories? #ugh
Also it would be lovely to say hello to other new IVF mums. It's really weird after months of near-daily hospital monitoring to be left alone now, isn't it xx

Moanyoldcow Thu 19-Oct-17 17:06:07

Oh wow - I just came here to moan about Fragmin but I'm taking it for different reasons.

I'm high risk owing to age and BMI and complications last pregnancy. I started injecting at 16 weeks (22 now) and have to continue up to birth. It's hard going.

Good luck with your pregnancy flowers

maplebaby Thu 19-Oct-17 17:08:07

Hi OP - first of all congratulations! I’m 24 weeks with my IVF baby and was on fragmin and aspirin until I was 10 weeks. I injected in my tummy though not my thighs but still had some bruising! I was on cyclogest until 14 weeks (started weaning off from 12 weeks). I sympathise - I found the fragmin needles a bit blunt!

Arlington77 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:13:22

Thanks @moanyoldcow (I'm sure you are neither moany nor old!) and @maplebaby, this is really helpful and reassuring. To be honest I'll do anything to make this baby hang on, so the Fragmin injections and pessaries are a small price to pay (although I doubt my nether regions will ever be the same again #tmi) anyway good to know you girls are SO much further along the 40-week joyride and still smiling. Thank you xx

Swan8 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:27:32

My baby is also a little IVF baby. I had to stick with the fragmin till 10 weeks - my stomach was very bruised and like you I found them quite stingy! Totally worth it though - I'm now 20 weeks and have already forgotten the pain of the IVF! That said, I've been pretty anxious about the baby throughout pregnancy. I don't know if that is just me or a result of the IVF and this pregnancy having been so hard to achieve - I count my blessings every day but am also constantly terrified something may go wrong!

Swan8 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:29:38

Ps I had to stick with the cyclogist till 14 weeks too. I didn't mind those so much - at least they didn't hurt! I was actually a bit scared the day I stopped, wondering if it was really okay for me to suddenly stop this medication that made the pregnancy possible (see what I mean about being a bit of an anxious worrier!).

Moanyoldcow Thu 19-Oct-17 18:39:09

There is a 'magic spot' at the top of the thigh - I've only found it 3 times - where you don't feel the needle, it doesn't sting and doesn't bleed. Every night I pray I find it again. Instead I'm ruining sheets with bloodspots!

maplebaby Thu 19-Oct-17 19:30:05

Swan I have been feeling anxious all the way through too. Infertility made me a very negative person and sometimes I find it hard to believe I’m pregnant. I had bleeds too at 6, 13 and 14 weeks which didn’t help!

Swan8 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:39:34

@maplebaby - I had a bleed at 12 weeks (the very day after my scan and when I thought I could finally start to relax!). It's horrible, isn't it? And even worse for you to have suffered through the terror of three of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now