Talk

Advanced search

Do I pay to find out at 20week scan??

(10 Posts)
Roxx1516 Thu 19-Oct-17 15:52:46

Iv had two children and I'm currently handing my 3rd, I never found out what I was having with my first two but I want to no This time Round, just wondering will they tell you or do you have to pay for them to tell you? X

Iwantaunicorn Thu 19-Oct-17 15:53:52

We were asked at the scan if we wanted to know or not.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Thu 19-Oct-17 15:55:45

It's our Trust's policy not to tell. If you want to know you have to pay privately which we did with Ds and I think we will be doing again.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 19-Oct-17 16:05:47

I think they tell you or don't tell you depending on your trust. In our area they'll quite happily tell you if they can see (but be warned, they don't have masses of time to look at the 20 week scan so we only found out gender for one of our twins and had to wait a few weeks for the other!). The only thing you pay for is a donation for photos which is a couple of quid. I would just ask your sonographer on the day - you can always get a gender scan if they won't tell you.

KimmySchmidt1 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:29:26

Most hospitals will tell you if you want to know and there should not be a charge. Odd that a trust has a policy of not telling you. Is there a particular problem in the area of people who have a cultural gender bias on babies and therefore increased risk of gender based abortions? seems bizarre otherwise.

if you keep an eye out you can see if its a boy anyway - my husband saw it all before the sonographer told us!

katmarie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:03:26

Our trust also has a policy of not telling, the lady who did my 20 week scan was very clear that it’s a medical scan, and that there were other much more important things they needed to examine to ensure the baby’s health. If we’d wanted to know we would have had to pay £35 and book an additional scan. We chose not to know anyway, but I got the impression that the trust generally was trying to get away from the idea that the 20 week scan was for finding out the sex, and focus more on the stuff it does actually measure.

Hairgician Thu 19-Oct-17 21:29:13

Same here, the policy is not to tell. I wouldn't have asked anyway, didn't want to know.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:49:03

No you don't need to pay. They will ask

Roxx1516 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:59:13

Thank you all smile

mindutopia Fri 20-Oct-17 10:24:21

Here, they tell you if you want to know and they can be relatively certain about what they're seeing. They won't if they can't be certain and they won't re-scan you if they can't get a good shot. The only thing I paid for were the scan pictures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now