Talk

Advanced search

38 week midwife appointment and heartbeat

(7 Posts)
JoanneF26 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:45:42

I have just returned from my latest Midwife appointment and upon listening for the heartbeat on the Doppler we only got the placenta and not the ‘clicking’ of the heartbeat I am used to.

The Midwife said baby must be in an awkward position but she’s ‘done this for years’ and was happy. Has anybody else had this?

I am on twice weekly bp checks at the moment and if at any point i notice a change in movements or just feel a little bit off to give them a ring but this has done nothing for my anxiety ☹️

Lalabing Thu 19-Oct-17 14:52:45

Is baby moving ok? If so then she more than likely knew what she was talking about and just couldn't get to heartbeat as baby will have a heartbeat if moving? If not don't worry but do get seen to x

littlemissalwaystired Thu 19-Oct-17 14:58:07

As long as baby's movements are normal for you then it is absolutely fine for your midwife to have done this. Even hearing a heartbeat doesn't indicate a baby is well, it's only a snapshot of that minute. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancysmile

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Thu 19-Oct-17 16:15:27

Well baby can't possibly be moving without a heartbeat, and pattern of movements is a lot more indicative of trouble at this stage than presence of a heartbeat, so if movements are normal and regular then I wouldn't give it another second's thought.

Topsyloulou Thu 19-Oct-17 17:41:11

I had similar at my mw appointment on Monday. Baby was wriggling away but me couldn't pick up heartbeat only placenta because of position of baby. First time I've had that in either of my pregnancies, mw was not at all worried & said everything was fine. Had to go for a growth scan on Tuesday & lovely strong heartbeat seen on there. As pp have said as long as baby is moving as normal nothing to worry about which I know is easier said than done.

JoanneF26 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:04:07

Thank you all for your comments - Baby has been moving this afternoon, I still struggle at 38 weeks for a pattern due to the position of my placenta.

It does make me more prone to worry about movements when I experience anything like this but reassuring that others have experienced it x

Lalabing Thu 19-Oct-17 20:10:34

Good to hear OP, 39 weeks here and have an anterior placenta so I know what you mean about patterns I can go hours without feeling baby, I had a growth scan at 36 weeks and baby was wriggling all over yet I couldn't feel it at all! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now