Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone take citalopram??

(3 Posts)
xxalexacxx Thu 19-Oct-17 13:22:35

Found out last week I am pregnant, very happy!

I take 30mg of citalopram for anxiety and depression although I actually think it’s more for the anxiety side now. I went and spoke to the doctor today and they said basically it was my choice if I come off it or I don’t! It’s left me very confused, I was just wondering if anyone else has had better information from their doctor?? Thanks xx

Fitzsimmons Thu 19-Oct-17 13:32:08

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

The problem is that there is very little research in this area. As you might imagine, scientists don't generally get studies approved to test medication on pregnant women because of the ethics involved. As a result, what little information they do have is pretty inconclusive either way, which is why you have been told this by your GP.

I was on citalopram when I got pregnant. I took the choice to come off it but I was on it till I was about 8 weeks gone. I have a very healthy nearly two year old now.

Have you had CBT for your anxiety? That helped me far more than the meds.

xxalexacxx Thu 19-Oct-17 13:36:25

Thanks so much for your reply, no I haven’t but that’s definitely something I will look into it, I said to my doctor I was going to drop it to 20mg for a week and then 10 and then try to come off them all together too.

But the news that you have a healthy two year old is very comforting to me as I’m 6 weeks now and was worried that I had been taking it for the first few weeks xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now