Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swabbing!

(7 Posts)
Vi37 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:41:51

Hi, just a really quick question. Been to the nurse today for a blood test to check my iron levels, mentioned I was having some yellow discharge which I think is wee but she said it could be thrush. I’m going for a test tomorrow but I’m terrified that they’ll use a speculum, I’m scared of it hurting baby. Is this what they do or is it a swab around the outsides? I’m in the uk. Thanks in advance.

Lj8893 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:27:38

They might do a low vaginal swab or they may use a speculum, I would expect just a low vaginal swab though. Neither type will hurt the baby.

PotteringAlong Wed 18-Oct-17 15:30:40

It won't hurt the baby! Apart from anything else, she'd have to break your waters to get to it! Do you have sex? In terms of inserting distance it's no different.

RosyPony Wed 18-Oct-17 15:32:38

I had swabs monthly and I was always sent to do them myself, just pop the tip on the cotton bud thingy inside you.

Vi37 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:41:00

Oh thanks ladies I’ll relax a bit now. No I’m too scared to have sex I know, I’m probably weird!

Vi37 Thu 19-Oct-17 08:39:55

Well that was awful. Nurse was half hour late. She didn’t seem to know what the symptoms meant so went to ask a doctor. The doctor told her to swab me for strep b. I laid on the bed half naked waiting then she didn’t know which swab to use so had to go ask someone. So I’ve had a speculum and swab all before I start work. I’ve had a lovely morning. 😡

Vi37 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:14:15

Bump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now