Talk

Advanced search

Possible miscarriage scan

(20 Posts)
teaortequila23 Wed 18-Oct-17 09:39:40

Hey all
I’m 7weeks pregnant with my third and yesterday I had pink discharge but I ignored it as I had it with my first two. This morning I woke up with bright red blood on my knickers. I’ve called the doctors and I have a scan at 2pm with the early pregnancy unit.
I’m so worried as to what will happen at the scan.
Does anyone have any experience as to what happens I would like to brace myself as much as possible as when I get home I have to try act as normal as possible with the DC
Thanks x

knockknockknock Wed 18-Oct-17 09:59:17

They will probably do an internal scan - nothing too bad.

As you’re only 7 weeks even if you are losing your baby I don’t think they will do anything as your dates could be out as afar as they know.

I had this situation and unfortunately went on to lose it and they just waited for nature to take its course.

Hope you get a better outcome.

SquareWord Wed 18-Oct-17 10:07:13

As PP says you will probably have an internal scan. The internal scans are fine and they are very gentle. You need to prepare yourself that you may not get a conclusive answer today. You might have to go back in 10-14 days so that they can see if there is any growth. With my first miscarriage I had to go back a third time as there had been some growth since the first scan. Good luck. I hope the news is better than you fear. flowers

teaortequila23 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:14:25

Thanks both for the reassurance.
Thank god I posted as I would have been mortified if I turned up and they said internal scan.
Would I need a full bladder for an internal scan?

DeadDoorpost Wed 18-Oct-17 10:17:17

Not from what I remember, only if it's a usual scan (but even then I had to have an empty bladder. Weird)
Hope everything's ok for you flowers

CrunchieFeeling Wed 18-Oct-17 10:22:51

I don't know if you have childcare but i didn't when i had one of these scans. (Dh was at work, it was just before Christmas and i was being fitted in as an emergency) It was actually fine with dc age 3. It was just an external scan but it turned out to be a mmc. My ds certainly doesn't remember it, the nurses were kind and i held it together.

Separately, i had a mc at 8 weeks which they first scanned for externally then internally just to check...

CrunchieFeeling Wed 18-Oct-17 10:23:40

Forgot to say - i hope this afternoon goes well x

SquareWord Wed 18-Oct-17 10:28:07

No you don't need a full bladder.

teaortequila23 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:28:59

cc luckily dd is at school and will be picked up by a family member and DS will be dropped off at my mums till tomorrow.
Hopefully it will be ok as it’s not heavy bleeding but I have read of some mmc without bleeding at all.

RedBlackberries Wed 18-Oct-17 10:31:12

They are very gentle internal scans. It can feel uncomfortable but I found deep slow breathings helped me. I've had one at 8 weeks with both pregnancies and they look at the fetus, measure it and can see where the bleedings coming from. Good luck.

mindutopia Wed 18-Oct-17 11:15:39

If you can try to have a full bladder, that's ideal as they will very likely want to try an abdominal scan first. They likely won't see much, but it may be enough to see a heartbeat and get a measurement. If they can do that and all checks out well, they won't bother with the internal. The internal can increase the bleeding (if it's harmless and just from your cervix, which is often is if everything is otherwise fine, then it's not a bad thing, but it can be worrisome and just unpleasant to have lots of bleeding). I know I've bled lots after all of my internal scans (even when the pregnancy was perfectly healthy). So if you can try a full bladder, it might save the trouble. Otherwise, if they can't get a good shot, they'll have you wee and then try again internally. If all looks fine, they'll be able to tell you. If they aren't sure about dates or there is no visible heartbeat, they'll have you come back in a week usually to check again. This gives baby time to develop, so increase in CRL will tell them baby is growing fine, and it may mean they can see a heartbeat if they couldn't the first time. I've been in the EPU for an early scan for bleeding with all three of my pregnancies (one ended in mc, actually the one I bled the least with, but two were perfectly healthy) and they were lovely every time. Hope the news is positive for you.

teaortequila23 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:39:58

Just a little update I am bleeding less now and the blood is more brown but there everytime I wipe.
Just getting ready to go soon I feel sick with worry but hopeful!
X

Freetodowhatiwant Wed 18-Oct-17 12:43:23

I hope it goes well. I have had lots of those scans, recurrent miscarrier so have had regular scans when pregnant. The scan itself will be fine as pp have said but also as someone else said prepare yourself for having to wait another week to confirm things if it’s not good news. Hopefully it is good news though - plenty of people report bleeding in pregnancy so I hope your one of those. The waiting is awful I know.

rosareine Wed 18-Oct-17 12:46:54

I agree with the previous posters who said you may not get answers today. I had bleeding in one of my pregnancies, when I had a scan they couldn't see much. I went back and it turned out all was ok but I was not as far along as was expected. The wait was hard.

Fingers crossed all is ok when you have your scan.

teaortequila23 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:47:26

Update: they found a heartbeat.

So over the moon. She didn’t know where the bleeding was coming from and she went straight for the internal and it wasn’t too uncomfortable. After I got home the bleeding got a tiny bit stronger and fresh red but only because of the internal scan. She said only to worry if it’s a period like bleed.

CrunchieFeeling Wed 18-Oct-17 17:56:44

So pleased. Lovely to have a happy outcome for this scenario!

EEandEmakes3 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:31:00

Wonderful news! ☺️

SquareWord Wed 18-Oct-17 18:51:14

That's great news. smile

rosareine Wed 18-Oct-17 19:11:51

So pleased for you.

RedBlackberries Wed 18-Oct-17 20:46:06

Ahh great news. star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now