Talk

Advanced search

Eclampsia

(5 Posts)
ASK6 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:38:23

Hi, I during my first pregnancy I developed preeclampsia which lead me to having eclampsia. Im now pregnant with my second child and Im concerned of this happening again. Has anyone had eclasmpsia before that can share some information. Thanks 😊

seven201 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:34:36

I don't know but I guess you'd be classed as high risk so would be under consultant care?

ASK6 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:55:10

I had my booking appointment with the midwife yestarday and she told me I would see an obstetrician around 12 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone had similar experiences or advice.

Lilypad78 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:05:53

Hi. I had pre eclampsia in my first pregnancy but didn't get eclampsia, I'm happy to share my experience if it helps? This time round I'm classed as high risk for developing pre eclampsia again & so am being consultant led (I'm in the UK), I've was told i've around a 50% chance of getting PE again but from reading online I think the risk can be dependent on how early you had it & how severe it was. I was diagnosed at 27 weeks & had an emcs the next day. This time I've had 3 extra growth scans in the last trimester, as DD1's growth was restricted due to the placenta not working & an appointment with a consultant at every scan. I was put on a low dose of aspirin at 12 weeks which helps reduce the risk of getting it again. So far it seems to have worked as I'm now 38+2 with DC2, I've had a couple of slightly high BP readings but it has always gone back down again within a few hours & no other symptoms so they haven't done anything however it did prompt my midwife to keep a closer eye on me, before this l had to push her for more regular check ups. I've also been offered an elcs, not sure if this is down to just the risk of PE or because I've already had a cs or a bit of both! Good luck with your pregnancy, it can be scary thinking about the risk but people do go on to have healthy 2nd pregnancies just make sure they keep a close eye on yousmile

Foggymist Wed 18-Oct-17 18:30:47

I didn't have eclampsia but had pre eclampsia, diagnosed at 36 weeks and ds born my emcs at 36+6 because of blood pressure.

35+4 with dc2 now, a few extra hospital appointments early on but normal appointments since 28 weeks. Just been told if I get any high bp readings at home, or any visual disturbances, or nausea to come straight in. Aiming for vbac and consultant was pleased with that, will only be planning a cs if I get symptoms of it or go way over as can't be induced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now