Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blood Transfusion

(9 Posts)
Rayraybt2006 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:01:46

Needing a blood transfusion due to very low iron levels which haven't been brought up by tablets. Not sure how I feel about it, but obviously don't want to do anything which would cause harm to baby. Any one have any history of needing transfusions during pregnancy??

ladybunnikins Tue 17-Oct-17 20:06:53

Have they already tried IV iron?

Rayraybt2006 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:22:18

Apart from tablets, I've had nothing else. I was told at my last apt that if I stayed low the next option was a transfusion and I've not improved so that's what they're doing. Should I ask for an IV iron??

abbsisspartacus Tue 17-Oct-17 21:26:27

My mom had that when she was pregnant with me her arm ended up swelling up (absolutely rare reaction ) the trainee midwife never saw that reaction in the 25 years after I was born she remembered my mom very well she was one of my midwives

abbsisspartacus Tue 17-Oct-17 21:28:00

I turned out fine btw healthy weight no issues and it was back in the 70s so I'm sure it's improved since then

CrmbleBee Tue 17-Oct-17 21:30:47

The following page says iron injections are the next step. Get yourself a second opinion, pronto.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Treatment.aspx

AnUtterIdiot Tue 17-Oct-17 21:46:27

Surely they mean an iron infusion not a blood transfusion!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 17-Oct-17 21:47:32

I'm sure they're talking about IV iron, OP. Lots of people have had it on here and it's not dangerous to the baby as far as I know.

Rayraybt2006 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:52:47

@AnUtterIdiot I'm not 100%. It was said as an 'if you're iron levels don't improve' scenario. I'm having a section in 6 weeks which may or may not make a difference to
What course they take. Nothing to do with religion I'm just not overly comfortable with the idea of someone else's blood in me. Maybe if I can have iron injections as a first option that would be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now