Talk

Advanced search

Very faint line 13 days after missed period?

(10 Posts)
OhShit2017 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:10:25

I found out 9 days ago that I am pg. My cycle is 23 days and that was on day 27. I had taken a test on day 25 and I thought I could see a line but wasn’t too sure, it was very faint. So I tested again on day 27 and the line was clearly there, though not as dark as the control line.

Unfortunately I am unable to continue with the pregnancy and had a consultation for an abortion today. On the scan she couldn’t see anything, there was something measuring 2mm that she said could be the very beginnings of a pregnancy, but she wasn’t sure. She then tested my urine and had to squint at the test for ages before she saw a line, I didn’t see it myself but she said it was very faint but definitely there.

I’m being sent to epu tomorrow for another scan and a blood test. I’m really confused about what’s going on. By my dates, I would have conceived on day 11 of my cycle, so 25 days ago now. Surely by now there should be a clear positive on the test, rather than a faint line, particularly when there was a definite clear line 9 days ago?

I haven’t had any pain or bleeding apart from a tiny little bit of pink discharge 3 days ago, just once when I went to the loo.

I am confused! Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening?

CrmbleBee Tue 17-Oct-17 19:21:38

You may have had an early miscarriage. If you have what's called a missed miscarriage, the embryo dies but it takes a few days to a couple of weeks for the bleeding to start, or it needs to be removed at a clinic. You can still get a positive pregnancy test due to residual hcg in your body.

www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/faint-positive-home-pregnancy-test

OhShit2017 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:30:47

Sounds awful but if that’s the case I think I’d be relieved, I’d rather nature took its course than go through an abortion. Will have a read of the link, thanks.

OhShit2017 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:35:14

My dates should make me about 5 and a half weeks but was measuring at 4 weeks 4 days (if it was the pregancy they were seeing, they weren’t sure).

CrmbleBee Tue 17-Oct-17 21:35:51

It might have stopped growing at the 4 week 4 day mark, then again it's difficult to accurately date from an ultrasound at an early stage. I hope you get the outcome you want. Do let me know what happens. x

OhShit2017 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:33:06

That’s what I was thinking but just did a home test and the line is a lot darker than the one 9 days ago, so now I’m even more confused. Don’t know why they had to squint to see a line this morning but I’ve got a clear line tonight. confused

OhShit2017 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:33:49

That last picture was tonight, this was 9 days ago.

4thtime Wed 18-Oct-17 07:53:41

If the lines getting darker then ur hcg would be increasing, it's very strange hopefully u get the answers you want

CrmbleBee Wed 18-Oct-17 12:21:27

If it helps it does take some time after miscarriage for hcg to disappear from the body. See point 5 on the following link:

labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/hcg/tab/faq/#5

OhShit2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:29:31

Just got out of the hospital, they think it’s ectopic. Got to go back for more bloods on Friday to confirm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now