Talk

Advanced search

Consultant appointment re elcs

(19 Posts)
mysecret321 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:40:02

Hi I have an appointment with a consultant on Thursday. First labour was quite traumatic my baby was 10lb and had shoulder dystocia (apparently described as mild). Anyone been through this? One of my friends had one and she said they were horrible eventually refusing to grant her request....

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Tue 17-Oct-17 19:17:09

I've had one Consultant appointment regarding birthing options and will have another a few weeks before my due date.
Mine are because I ended up needing an emergency c section 10 months ago with first DS so I now have the option for another c section or to try for a VBAC.

If you've been offered a consultant appointment, the choice is entirely yours regarding the birth. They can't refuse you a c section if that's what you choose.

I will say though, that the appointment was very quick and somewhat useless. I was told nothing more than what I already knew from spending 5 minutes on google looking at the pros and cons of repeat c section vs a vaginal birth after c section.

Hope it goes well and is informative for you! Fight your corner if they try and decide a birth plan for you.

mysecret321 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:56:39

Thank you! Yes I've had a look at NICE guidelines and the way I understand them is that, so long as I understand the risks involved, then they can't refuse it. TBH I don't care how useless the appointment is so long as they approve my request haha thank you!

Oldschool41 Wed 18-Oct-17 06:51:01

When I had my appointment they tried really really hard to change my mind from a c section to a Vbac but I stood my ground and said can they guarantee my old c section scar wouldn't rupture and they couldn't so nothing more to be said and should be getting my c section date today 😉

StarStruK Wed 18-Oct-17 07:05:43

Hello, I’d be really keen to hear how you get on. I have a meeting next week and I’m requesting a c-section after a traumatic first birth. Feeling pretty anxious about having to ‘fight’ for what I want...
Good luck!

mysecret321 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:50:07

Yes, I'll let you know! I cannot believe that we're having to fight for this! Let's face it, it's not a choice people make lightly and won't open up millions of requests so why? I'm getting really stressed about it-and why should I? Will update after tomorrow- it's not until late afternoon though so I have all day to work myself up!

Metalhead Wed 18-Oct-17 10:19:56

Just to warn you that you might not actually get to see the consultant on your first appointment. When I asked for an ELCS with DC2 I first saw someone more junior from the team who I felt was quite dismissive of my concerns and tried his very best to convince me that I didn’t need a section (by saying things like “ALL second births are easier” hmm). However, at the next appointment with the actual consultant she basically said straight away, if this is really what you want then we’ll do it. (She still tried to convince me otherwise but I felt she really listened to me and didn’t just try to fob me off). Good luck!

mysecret321 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:22:02

Oh dear! Sounds like a 'nice' experience! I hope it goes ok tomorrow, really stressing out!

reallyorange Wed 18-Oct-17 19:24:55

Metalhead same happened to me. Junior doctor quite misinformed. I'm still waiting to decide but leaning towards elcs based on friends' rave reviews!

Oldschool41 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:45:59

Well I was suppose to get a date this morning for my c section but again the consultant tried to talk me into a Vbac but again I stuck to my wishes and now they are saying I'll get my date at 36 week appointment. Just stick to your guns I am 😀

mysecret321 Thu 19-Oct-17 04:55:15

Seriously I am shocked at the level of trying to talk you guys into changing your mind... it's not like you woke up one day and thought ill have a c section instead! Why do they have to undermine what you say?! I thought it was all about giving women choices but this appears to be the case so long as it fits their budget plan!

Metalhead Thu 19-Oct-17 07:35:56

It just depends on how things are discussed I think. The junior doctor, he definitely just tried to talk me out of it, whereas the consultant actually raised legitimate points and said she just wanted to make sure I didn’t end up being traumatised again only for different reasons. Just stick to your guns and you should be ok!

As for not getting a date before 36 weeks, I think that’s fairly standard practice, certainly at my local hospital.

MagicMoneyTree Thu 19-Oct-17 12:42:39

A close friend of mine went to her consultant armed with a load of research she’d done and ready to “fight” for her c section after her first labour had ended in emergency section). They listened to her, chatted briefly and agreed immediately. So it’s not always a case of having to fight. On the flip side, I also have a friend who had to fight for her natural birth as consultant was advising another c section. She stood her ground and opted for the v bac but unfortunately ended up with another emergency c section. I really think it depends on your individual circumstances AND the consultant you happen to have. Good luck with your appointment. Hope you get the result you want!

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Thu 19-Oct-17 14:21:25

Naturally they'll try and sway you towards whichever option has less risks for both you and your baby, 9 times out of 10, that option is vaginal so it's understandable why hospitals/consultants seem more eager to divert people from having repeat caesareans. That being said, your consultant should and will respect your right to choose whichever you wish.

mysecret321 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:08:40

Hi girls! Just so you know I've had my request granted and the c section date booked there and then! I am so happy and relieved!

Metalhead Thu 19-Oct-17 20:22:21

That’s great news, glad you got what you wanted!

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Thu 19-Oct-17 20:53:26

Brilliant news, you must feel like a massive weight has been lifted flowers

Oldschool41 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:07:55

@mysecret321 that's great news, now you can chill 😉

mysecret321 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:23:43

Yes! That's right! I hadn't realised how stressed I was and terrified of giving birth, until I left the hospital and felt just happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now