Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Tell me about labour wards?

(7 Posts)
FGSholdthedoor Tue 17-Oct-17 13:05:08

I feel silly even asking this as its my 2nd DC however with my first my labour was so fast I barely made it to the hospital.
So as a result I've realised I have no clue what labour wards and the part before the pushing stage is like...

I have recently read somewhere that partners/other people are not allowed on the actual labour ward - is that true?

How does it look from the moment the midwives decide to admit you?

MrsCharlieD Tue 17-Oct-17 14:38:17

I was potentially going to need to be induced and was told dh would be able to stay with me in the day but would be sent home at night if I wasn't in established labour. I've ended up not needing to be induced so far so no real experience.

With ds I went straight to delivery suite as I was already 6cm when I got there so only experienced delivery suite and post natal ward.

asongforthelovers Tue 17-Oct-17 16:08:40

My husbands been allowed in with all3 labours, 1 spontaneous and 2 inductions. Always been allowed to stay over for the night after delivery as well but only stayed with no.3.

tootsieglitterballs Tue 17-Oct-17 16:21:43

All hospitals have different policies. Ours allows partners to stay throughout the whole process and afterwards for as long as you want / need them too.

FGSholdthedoor Tue 17-Oct-17 17:13:05

Thank you for the replies I will need to check how it works at mine...

I know no one is allowed in overnight as I was a blubbering mess and knackered on my own with DS when I had to stay.

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 17:14:55

Take ear plugs and an eye mask for the night after

EssentialHummus Tue 17-Oct-17 17:18:44

What tootsie said. My local (Lewisham) allows partners overnight, and I think no set visiting hours. Quality/size/rules vary wildly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: