Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about labour wards?

(7 Posts)
FGSholdthedoor Tue 17-Oct-17 13:05:08

I feel silly even asking this as its my 2nd DC however with my first my labour was so fast I barely made it to the hospital.
So as a result I've realised I have no clue what labour wards and the part before the pushing stage is like...

I have recently read somewhere that partners/other people are not allowed on the actual labour ward - is that true?

How does it look from the moment the midwives decide to admit you?

MrsCharlieD Tue 17-Oct-17 14:38:17

I was potentially going to need to be induced and was told dh would be able to stay with me in the day but would be sent home at night if I wasn't in established labour. I've ended up not needing to be induced so far so no real experience.

With ds I went straight to delivery suite as I was already 6cm when I got there so only experienced delivery suite and post natal ward.

asongforthelovers Tue 17-Oct-17 16:08:40

My husbands been allowed in with all3 labours, 1 spontaneous and 2 inductions. Always been allowed to stay over for the night after delivery as well but only stayed with no.3.

tootsieglitterballs Tue 17-Oct-17 16:21:43

All hospitals have different policies. Ours allows partners to stay throughout the whole process and afterwards for as long as you want / need them too.

FGSholdthedoor Tue 17-Oct-17 17:13:05

Thank you for the replies I will need to check how it works at mine...

I know no one is allowed in overnight as I was a blubbering mess and knackered on my own with DS when I had to stay.

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 17:14:55

Take ear plugs and an eye mask for the night after

EssentialHummus Tue 17-Oct-17 17:18:44

What tootsie said. My local (Lewisham) allows partners overnight, and I think no set visiting hours. Quality/size/rules vary wildly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now