Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How organised are you. I'm 20 weeks and been told I'm ott.

(45 Posts)
CinnamonAndSpice Mon 16-Oct-17 22:18:56

So today my mum. Paid for the pram, car seat etc . And dad for the bouncer thing.
We were given a crib. ( just mattress to buy) and on a baby event I got the sheets.
Also as had a bonus made use of the extra cash and did a bulk buy.. As would of burned a hole in pocket so ordered pram coat and purchased bottles, steriliser, hats, mittens, vests, socks, sleepsuiys, two fleece type Blankets and two cellular ones.. Also have a fair few packs of nappies from goody bags etc.
I don't feel like I've rushed, I. Generally organised anyway but it's just because I had the bonus and thought get a bulk done before Xmas.

Think I still have a fair bit to get I. E
Mattress, change mat and liners. Then want to get some 0-3 incase it's a a biggun lol. And also before bubs comes we'll get the cot etc just so don't have lots of big expenses within a few months of birth as both cars due mot and tax within 10 weeks of birth so want that out the way

Thing is as I say I've got it mainly because of bonus and lucky my parents purchased large items which was lovely
But my friend is like you're going ott and save some stuff for mat leave etc.. Even tho when on mat leave I have my sons birthday and a few other bits to keep occupied

Am I. The only one who has lots already as now feel I'm not normal lol

overmybreadbody Mon 16-Oct-17 22:22:09

25 weeks...
- Decorated nursery and built cot
- Ordered pram

overmybreadbody Mon 16-Oct-17 22:24:15

Whoops!
Posted too soon...
- Co sleeping crib
- Downstairs crib
- All newborn clothes
- Bits - I.e Gro Egg/Sleepyhead
- Baby bath
- Breast pump

overmybreadbody Mon 16-Oct-17 22:26:14

And..
- Car seat
- Changing mat
- Towels

Still need more soft furnishings for nursery,

Do I need a steriliser if I'm breastfeeding? blush

lizabes Mon 16-Oct-17 22:27:28

You sound sensible imo.
You’ve got to get it all eventually so you’re better getting stuff early than waiting to the last minute and stressing out.

lizabes Mon 16-Oct-17 22:28:31

Only if you’re expressing, Over.

GiveMeTheTeaAndNobodyGetsHurt Mon 16-Oct-17 22:33:17

I'm at the same stage as you, and tbh I'm just envious! If you have the money available now then there's nothing wrong with getting stuff in early. My only note of caution is whether you've had your anomaly scan yet?

On a more positive note, it might also be worth waiting till the January sales for some things, especially clothes - if you're lucky enough to have a bit of spare cash you could even get some winter clothes aged 9-12 months for next year

DeadDoorpost Mon 16-Oct-17 22:34:34

Got the mattress to get and a few things just in case but other than that I had organised everything by maybe 12 weeks? I had nothing to do though as I'd just finished uni and was stuck indoors at home with Hyperemesis and a horrible horrible cold.

NotSureIfiAmWell Mon 16-Oct-17 22:38:57

I didn't do anything until 25wks.

Your decision when you want to do stuff.

CinnamonAndSpice Mon 16-Oct-17 22:42:58

Scan is weds. Didn't think of that.
Good idea for sales but we're not finding out and due early March so will probably miss out as won't be sure what colour to buy. X
Glad I'm not the only one lol.

Oh also got one of them M&P sit up ring things my friend got one for her DS and he can't use it due to a disability so I brought it off her

Was planning on buying the main clothes once born.. And just getting sleeps suits and a couple of cream or neutral outfits for at first

With my DS I was mega ott two rails of clothes.. Which needless to say never even all got used.. So have learned by that however I feel like I won't have enough lol. Once all unpacked and washed etc I'm sure it will look lots and defo be enough
We don't need to do nursery as it's gonna be in our room then in with DS as only a two bed at mo until we sort about moving

AtSea1979 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:45:17

Not organised at all if you don't know the sex already and haven't colour coordinated anything so ignore everyone else and crack on.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 16-Oct-17 22:47:28

Honestly, I wouldn't personally make any big purchases until after the anomaly scan, but if you are happy to buy things now then why shouldn't you.

DaisyLand Mon 16-Oct-17 22:59:20

I’m due beginning of April so far I’ve bought: nothing :D
If i find anything interesting in Black Friday i will get something then if not I’ll wait til Boxing Day sales.
Not sure whether we’ll find the gender but it shouldn’t be difficult to find things in sales then

Your list is good tho now I can go back to it to check what I’ve got missing once I start buying :D

StylishDuck Mon 16-Oct-17 23:25:00

I’m 29 weeks and have bought nothing yet. Though in fairness, this is my second so I have the majority of the big stuff anyway. Just need a few things like a new mattress for the Moses basket, some newborn nappies, few bits & pieces of newborn clothes... I do occasionally get the feeling I’m missing something big off my list mind you.

Phryne Tue 17-Oct-17 06:25:29

I think you've probably done the bulk of your shopping earlier than most people think they would / rosily remember doing, but it's not abnormal or wrong or OTT or anything. It's about feeling comfortable, I think. I did a crazy amount of research (that's what 3+ years TTC and down time at work do to you) for DC1 and bought odds and ends when I saw them at a good price from after the first scan. Poor DP had to listen to me debate the relative merits of every tiny thing - he probably wished I'd done one big shop early like you!

I think you've probably done the bulk of your shopping earlier than most people think they would / rosily remember doing, but it's not abnormal or wrong or OTT or anything. It's about feeling comfortable, I think. I did a crazy amount of research (that's what 3+ years TTC and down time at work do to you) for DC1 and bought odds and ends when I saw them at a good price from after the first scan. Poor DP had to listen to me debate the relative merits of every tiny thing - he probably wished I'd done one big shop early like you!

Phryne Tue 17-Oct-17 06:28:34

Sorry for the multiple posts, hope this apology isn't multiplied too!

BertieBotts Tue 17-Oct-17 06:32:21

I think with DC2 it's just sensible. You'll be busy over Christmas.

user1499786242 Tue 17-Oct-17 06:56:23

Well I bought my cot before I was even pregnant and my pram when I was 9 weeks
Looking back that was utterly ridiculous

BikeRunSki Tue 17-Oct-17 07:15:20

I hope the rest of your pg goes well OP.

TheCatsMother99 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:38:18

From speaking to other pregnant women who like both you and me are at the same stage in their pregnancies I do thjnkyouve bought a lot more than most, however, there are no set rules when it comes to this so if it makes you happy continue.

I've only bought a next2me crib and that was because it was second hand and a bargain but every one is different, I don't want to buy everything now and then sit and twiddle thumbs till baby arrives, you want to be prepared early. Each to their own.

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 07:42:32

As long as you've had your 20 week scan already I think it's fine

eeanne Tue 17-Oct-17 07:48:19

I wouldn't equate "having bought lots of items" with "being organised." Being organised is more preparing for the birth, learning about breastfeeding if you're planning to, deciding what help you'll need post-birth and getting family/friends onto specific things, etc.

In my personal experience I ended up regretting a number of things I bought earlier in pregnancy. I'm pregnant with #2 and have sold and then replaced (largely secondhand) the bouncer, breastfeeding pillow, bedside cot. I hate the nappy bag I have and want a new one also. DC1 was born small so ended up with NB/0-3 clothes lasting longer than expected.

NoParticularPattern Tue 17-Oct-17 07:48:46

I feel really disorganised now! I’m 25 weeks and I’ve got, erm, some second hand baby clothes. That’s it. I know which pram I’m buying though and I have looked at cribs etc. I just darent tempt things after a previous loss blush. Might be time to put my big girl pants on though....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: