Talk

Advanced search

Sharp trapped nerve pain in back of thigh

(19 Posts)
MRSTIGERTOES Mon 16-Oct-17 20:21:36

I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my first and am currently suffering with awful pains at the back of my upper left leg underneath my buttock. It's becoming worse and it's affecting getting up after sitting down, putting weight on it and turning in certain positions. Anybody else suffering with this? It only seems to have got worse this week. I'm currently in holiday so wondered if it was made worse by the car journey to get here - 4 and a half hours with 3 breaks. Trying some cat stretches to help and also some pregnancy yoga. The pain is really quite bad when it twinges confused

outofmymind26 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:28:53

Ohhhh I wonder if it's sciatica? I started suffering with it after a car accident at 21 but when I was pregnant at 24 the symptoms were back & I was in tears at times.

Hopefully someone more helpful comes along soon!

MRSTIGERTOES Mon 16-Oct-17 20:33:58

I did wonder about sciatica but I haven't got any numbness or tingling? Does that always happen with sciatica? I am completely fed up with it now and was in tears earlier

Grumpyteens Mon 16-Oct-17 20:39:48

No you don’t always get numbness or tingling. I’ve had sciatica for years and never had either of those symptoms. Sitting down actually makes it worse. I think the advice is to keep mobile.

MRSTIGERTOES Mon 16-Oct-17 20:41:23

Oh ok. Trying to move around as much as possible. I can't bear the thought of this for another 19 weeks!

Foggymist Mon 16-Oct-17 20:56:26

Classic sciatica, book an appointment with an osteopath asap.

MRSTIGERTOES Mon 16-Oct-17 20:59:58

My midwife said they have a physio at the maternity unit near me so worth going back to her?

Foggymist Mon 16-Oct-17 21:03:50

I personally find osteopath much more effective than physio but if it's free no harm trying it first.

hotcookie Mon 16-Oct-17 21:11:23

I'm 14 weeks and have very similar pain for 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's piriformis syndrome (very similar to sciatica, and can be a cause of it) but my self help of rest/stretches/glute work hasn't really helped and it's deteriorated. I'm booked to see physio weds (thank god for private health insurance-spoke to physio with them on phone today, agreed sounds like piriformis and authorised physio there and then)
Its a wee muscle deep in the glutes, and the sciatic nerve runs underneath, or sometimes through or around it. It bloody sucks tho. No back pain or tingling/numbness

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 16-Oct-17 21:16:46

Yep, piriformos syndrome. Google piriformis and it'll show you where the muscle is. It goes right across your buttocks, and when it's in spasm can press on the sciatic nerve.

You can lie on the other side and massage the muscle, that can release it a bit. There are exercises you can do as well, but a physio will be able to advise.

Redelephant18 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:18:01

Sounds like piriformis syndrome. I had it last pregnancy and am suffering with it again and this time the muscle is impinging on the sciatic nerve causing leg pain. My ostepath gave me 'homework' which helped massively and I haven't had to go back to her this time (she was lovely but quite pricey!).

Lie on your side with your knees bent and get your oh to use his elbow to massage small circles wherever it hurts on your bum cheek. Increase the pressure and do it for about 5 minutes at a time. Turn over for the other side.

It can be a bit painful while my husband actually massages the sore areas but helps massively with reducing pain and increasing mobility the following morning.

Hope this helps!

MRSTIGERTOES Mon 16-Oct-17 21:21:53

Sounds like it could be this piriformis syndrome?! Definitely feels like something is trapped and could spasm. Did you see midwife or gp first or go straight to physio?

Redelephant18 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:23:10

I went straight to the osteopath but honestly, try the exercise above at home first as it helps me so much.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 16-Oct-17 21:23:34

I wouldn't think an elbow would be the best idea, better to use hands so you have a better idea of pressure. When you find the muscle slight pressure might hurt, so go gently to start with.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 16-Oct-17 21:24:23

MW and urgent referral, was seen within the week.

Redelephant18 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:25:08

You start gently with the elbow and increase the pressure. I think its better than hands as it reaches the deep piriformis muscle.

Also, it was advised by my osteopath.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 16-Oct-17 21:27:33

OK, but can only advise from my own experience and initially just very light touch made me jump about a foot in the air.

My physio didn't need to use much pressure at all to release the muscle, there's no need for the massage to be painful.

MRSTIGERTOES Mon 16-Oct-17 21:45:58

I'll definitely try the above. Will give it a couple of days and see about contacting my midwife or physio. Thanks for all the advice, I could cope with it if I knew what it was and how to manage it

Lozmatoz Tue 17-Oct-17 04:31:45

It’s probably pelvic girdle pain. Hi to go and ask to be referred to physio

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now