Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

38 weeks baby not engaged !

(11 Posts)
firsttimemum889 Mon 16-Oct-17 16:38:52

I ve just came back from my 38 weeks appoitment this is my first babh . midwife said baby is not engaged yet which should be by now . She wasn’t very clear as to what that means excactly ? Will i go over 40 weeks and have a difficult labour ?
She was wrong before (she told me baby what back to back but scan showed baby was on the left side ) so i am not sure how accurate her hands are !
Any tips for helping the baby move down ?

Zeitgei5t Mon 16-Oct-17 16:48:26

My first wasn't engaged 2 days before I went into labour. I think I read that with your first this is quite common? (Also 70% of babies are born after 40 weeks so you don't need to worry)

Wolfiefan Mon 16-Oct-17 16:50:07

Babies move.
I don't think the head always engages much before labour.

firsttimemum889 Mon 16-Oct-17 16:54:05

I heard the oposite @Zeitgei5t that first babies engage early while second and third babies dont ! I am so impatient i am really siffering with PUPPS the itch is unbelievable so the thought of 4 more weeks is not a very good one right now sad

Zeitgei5t Mon 16-Oct-17 16:59:11

Ooh maybe I misremembered. Sorry about that, still every labour is different and babies can engage whilst in labour so doesn't necessarily mean you'll be late. Fingers crossed that it won't take too much longer! X

MummyMrsMe Mon 16-Oct-17 22:56:43

I was induced with my first pregnancy and after three attempts of the gel, labour still wasn’t really starting so eventually the OB consultant came in and broke my waters and put me on a drip... at that point he told me Baby was only 4/5ths engaged.

I remember thinking WTF? How can you be breaking my waters if the baby isn’t engaged?! But for hours later I had my wee boys in my arms so definitely don’t worry!!

MummyMrsMe Mon 16-Oct-17 22:57:23

*four hours later

MotherOfBeagles Mon 16-Oct-17 23:07:18

I’m the same boat as you, almost 39wks and baby not engaged yet. He keeps going up and down as such so starting to engage and then pulling away. He’s also moved from back to back to left side to every which way in the last few weeks so hoping that he will move into proper position any minute now.

But I did some googling last night and apparently it’s not unusual for babies to only fully engage when labour progresses so trying not to worry yet!

Although definitely more than ready for pregnancy to be over!!!

espoleta Tue 17-Oct-17 08:41:26

Hi ladies
Someone recommended this website to help your babies move
https://spinningbabies.com/

HopeAndJoy16 Tue 17-Oct-17 08:47:47

My baby didn't engage until labour. I still had a relatively quick labour so don't worry. Also it is completely possible your baby was back to back when the midwife palpated but had moved for the scan. Even if your baby is back to back when you go into labour the majority turn, it doesnt necessarily mean a difficult labour/birth

firsttimemum889 Tue 17-Oct-17 11:34:38

Thanks ladies for the replies !
@espoleta i had a look
Through that before some of the excersises are far too difficult for me to do at the moment !
Got my bouncing ball out and hopefully that will help !
@MotherOfBeagles thats what happen with me baby was 3/5 at 36 weeks and 4/5 yesterday at 38 weeks i didnt think that was possible ! He is very active though dont know if that matters ! I am
Over this pregnancy as well i just want to meet him now but i dont know why i have this feeling that i still have loooong way to go !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now