Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't quite believe I'm posting here...but agnus castus?

(7 Posts)
brogueish Mon 16-Oct-17 15:01:00

I have just found out I'm pg. I'm still rather in shock tbh, we'd given up TTC after 3 mc, being told that IVF wouldn't work, and me being perimenopausal. Only did a test because I'd been feeling ultra-hormonal and crampy for a few weeks. Nearly fell over when the 2nd line appeared.

Anyway, I've been taking agnus castus every day for a few years because it's been great for my mood, but Dr Google is undecided as to whether I should or shouldn't stop taking it now. Has anyone got any experience of it, or advice?

I'd reconciled myself to not being able to have children so I'm a bit all over the place at the moment!

MrsFletcher Mon 16-Oct-17 15:51:04

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/264778-agnus-castus

Does this help?

CatRash Mon 16-Oct-17 15:59:50

Huge congratulations! And I'm sorry to hear about your previous miscarriages

Yes, I was on it having come off the injection after 11 years of being on it. Neither midwife or GP had heard of it and both told me to stop taking it....on the basis they didn't know what it was.

I didn't want to stop like that as had read it can cause hormone levels to drop which could cause miscarriage.

I stopped gradually instead - I cut the tablets into halves, then eventually quarters and stopped taking them by the 12 week mark.

It caused me no problems - my little girl is currently sound asleep next to me on the sofa.

Good luck with everything!!

brogueish Mon 16-Oct-17 16:00:43

Thanks, but not really, no. Thanks for replying though.

brogueish Mon 16-Oct-17 16:03:50

Catrush Thank you so much - that's really helpful. I'd read the same thing about stopping abruptly, and that's a really good idea about gradually reducing the dose. I'm relieved to hear that it caused you no issues.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited! smile

mamasiz Mon 16-Oct-17 17:26:56

I took this many moons ago because I'd read it was good for treating acne. My period has always been as regular as clockwork but within a day of taking this my period had suddenly started and I'd only had one a week before. I would definitely avoid taking it in pregnancy. It seems to stimulate everything down there.

MsBranwen Mon 16-Oct-17 17:53:49

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I was taking agnus castus too when I got my bfp and found it really hard to decide whether to keep taking it but in the end I decided I didn't want to go 'cold turkey' so just gradually weaned off so that I wasn't taking any by 12 weeks. I was taking tincture and gradually decreased the dose over the 1st trimester, by the last week I was just taking a few drops every 2-3 days. I'm now 38 weeks so it worked for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now