Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going on holiday while off sick?

(13 Posts)
APMama Mon 16-Oct-17 11:42:46

I've just been to the GP who has signed me off for 4 weeks with pregnancy related fatigue and sickness. Problem is, on Saturday we are due to go on a city break, just for 4 days. The last day coincides with a days annual leave booked. Will I get in trouble for going? I feel lousy as anything but don't want to lose the money so want to just try and persevere. After all, I can just stay at the hotel if I don't feel up to doing anything when we get there.

Worried I'll get some sort of disciplinary action for going as being signed of with fatigue and then going on holiday doesn't really tally does it.

Work policies don't say anything about it. dilemma!

katmarie Mon 16-Oct-17 12:28:02

If one of the reasons you’re signed off is fatigue then a relaxing holiday is actually pretty justifiable. If it gives you the chance to rest and recharge, and you do think you’ll feel better after, then go, and let it do you good.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 16-Oct-17 12:35:36

I wouldn't. A city break means tramping around. Not exactly relaxing. If it was a week in a villa doing nothing but sleeping eating and sunbathing - fair enough.

blueskyinmarch Mon 16-Oct-17 13:09:25

Of course you can go on holiday when you are signed off. Absolutely nothing to stop you, even more so if it was prearranged anyway. Might do you the world of good.

bettydraper31 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:17:34

Hmm it's a tricky one really. It's up to you if you go, but I would expect a bit of moaning from your colleagues as if you're sick, you're sick. If you're well enough to go on holiday you're well enough to go to work, but everyone's different. But it was booked first, so it's tricky :/ x

MrsPringles Mon 16-Oct-17 13:18:34

My DH, the GP encouraged him to go and said it was perfectly legal and that the vitamin D would do him good

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Mon 16-Oct-17 13:19:47

How would they ever know unless you tell someone or put it on social media?

Roseandbee Mon 16-Oct-17 13:46:15

You should go if your upto it. Sitting round a hotel and maybe getting out for a bit doesn't mean your fit to work. I've had the sickness and fatigue almost all the way through so far and I wudve got signed off if it wasn't for the fact I work from home and was able to lie in bed on my laptop. I also booked a holiday as I thought i may aswell lie around with a change of seen for a bit, it'll do you good mentally as it's hard going being at home sick all the time. Hopefully it'll perk you up a bit too as I did find getting out for a bit helped. Hope you feel soon, my sickness cleared at 24 weeks altho I'm still fatigued now at 26

Laura2018 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:54:53

I would go but dont post anything at all on Facebook or social media (if you are on it). And try to relax, the doctor has signed you off for a reason 🌸🌺

LumpySpaceCow Mon 16-Oct-17 14:09:28

As long as in EU then no issues regarding sick pay. I'd go. Just don't post on social media!

WitchesHatRim Mon 16-Oct-17 14:11:50

Depends really. If you are off with fatigue and sickness going on a citybreak that will involve a lot of walking around etc probably not a good idea.

If you are going to a relaxing place and sitting by a pool ok.

MaverickSnoopy Mon 16-Oct-17 14:21:49

Absolutely go. The rest will do you good. If you're going to lose the money anyway, then you might as well go and even if you sleep all day and night, it will still be enjoyable. Bear in mind that when you're at home you always feel that you should be doing something, even if you're not. If you go away it's the perfect opportunity for a break.

I used to work in HR and would not bat an eyelid at this. I would ask if you had a nice time if you told me. Btw any annual leave that would have fallen during a period the dr signed you off should be claimed back, so that one day off, you should take at another time.

APMama Mon 16-Oct-17 15:48:45

Thanks everyone! Super helpful, think I'm gonna go but will tell work in advance so they don't think I'm being sneaky or faking it! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now