Talk

Advanced search

Growth scans at 28 weeks, 32 weeks and 35 weeks.

(20 Posts)
AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Mon 16-Oct-17 11:00:25

Morning everyone,

I have a 28 week growth scan this afternoon due to 'pressure on a uterine artery' being discovered at the 20 week anomaly scan which I was told can apparently restrict the growth of the baby.

My first pregnancy was completely plain sailing and I only had the scans at 12 and 20 weeks so not really sure what to expect from today!

My partner seems to think it'll be a really quick, in-and-out jobby but I somewhat thought I'll be in there for a while if they're retaking all the measurements again?

If any of you have had growth scans and can shed some light for me, that'd be fantastic! smile

Ah! Also! Are you able to get photos from growth scans? I'd like some more pictures as the ones we have so far are pretty terrible and my partner can't make it to any more scans due to his work not allowing him anymore time off, so I would love for him to be able to see how his second little bub is developing!

Thanks guys! biscuit

AnUtterIdiot Mon 16-Oct-17 11:11:47

The growth scans are much quicker than the 20 week scans - they have a look at the heartbeat and measure the head, femur and abdomen. They also check the amniotic fluid. I'm not sure they do very much else. My hospital says you can always have a photo if you pay a donation.

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Mon 16-Oct-17 11:41:53

Lovely, thank you @AnUtterIdiot !

thepatchworkcat Mon 16-Oct-17 11:47:52

Hi not the same medical reason as you but I had extra growth scans in my pregnancy due to medication I was on and I got photos every time! Paid something for them I think.

welshweasel Mon 16-Oct-17 11:49:46

I had a ridiculous number of growth scans. Generally only took a few minutes. I got a photo at the first one I had (28 weeks) but as the baby gets bigger it gets harder to get a good view of them!

kshaw Mon 16-Oct-17 11:58:58

Mine were exactly the same as the other two - have to say I thought they were pretty pointless though - I had my last one at 35+2 and said she was 5lb 3 - had baby at 35+6 and she weighed 6lb 11!!

AccrualIntentions Mon 16-Oct-17 12:00:47

I'm on fortnightly growth scans now (34 weeks) and they've tended to take about 10 minutes. I still pay for pictures because my mother in law would kick off if I didn't get one of each scan for her collection but they're not as good as the earlier ones because you can't fit much of the baby on the screen!

They check the measurements for abdomen and femur length, check blood flows and something to do with the placenta.

Oldschool41 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:24:13

I am having growth scans next one is 32 weeks then 34 and another at 36 weeks. They don't tend to take too long last one about 5 minutes then I always see the consultant afterwards. I have got a picture every time but like someone has said they are not as clear as the 20 week scan picture.

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Mon 16-Oct-17 12:53:34

Thank you everyone!

I really hope I do manage to get some photos (though I do realise that isn't the main point of the scan) as the ones we got from the 12 week and 20 week scan are pretty terrible envy

Cagliostro Mon 16-Oct-17 13:06:33

Yep much quicker here as they are checking much less - fluid volume etc as well as size. I have my last growth scan today (36w) grin

Have always got pictures too

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Mon 16-Oct-17 14:41:57

Just had the scan and feel a little deflated to be honest. The whole thing was so rushed and it was like they couldn't wait to get me out and get the next person in - I know it's their job, but nothing was talked through with me, nothing was explained and I even had to ask them if my baby is still on track growth wise as they didn't mention it whatsoever.

Didn't get any photos, the person doing the ultrasound didn't even try for me sadenvy

Looks like I'll be having to pick through my notes to see how this bub is actually doing!

AccrualIntentions Mon 16-Oct-17 14:44:24

I'm sorry to hear that. Even though they're routine (and the sonographers are busy) I still think they should be explaining what they're checking and what the findings are that they'll be putting in your notes / reporting to the consultant. I hope that your next one feels more of a positive experience flowers

Cagliostro Mon 16-Oct-17 14:51:42

Oh that sounds rubbish. They shouldn't make you feel like that sad ours are usually quite chatty.

Still the fact it was quick and very routine makes it sound like baby must be doing ok thanks

DeadDoorpost Tue 17-Oct-17 00:10:11

That sucks you didnt get a scan or get it explained to you. I had to be slotted in at very short notice due to me measuring incredibly below the 10th centile (all fine in the end he was just hiding way back in my uterus) and despite having to be fitted in I got explained everything, and a free scan picture that day.
I do think it varies terribly though depending on your area. I'm in a place where the main hospital is pretty busy but very few pregnant women so it's a lot more relaxed here. Hooefully everything's measuring ok though for you?

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Tue 17-Oct-17 08:47:54

Thankfully the little one is measuring perfectly which I know should be, and is my main concern. It just bothers when nothing is talked through and they can't wait to see the back of you.

I don't feel like it should be down to the patient to ask how their baby is doing. It literally takes two seconds to say 'your baby is fine, measuring where it should be for gestational age, you needn't worry at this point time' but they couldn't even muster that.

Hopefully at my remaining two growth scans they'll be a little nicer!!!

DeadDoorpost Tue 17-Oct-17 11:07:42

Good to hear he's measuring fine! You're right though, it shouldn't be down to us to ask them. If you need another one hopefully they'll be better

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Tue 17-Oct-17 11:17:51

Thank you @DeadDoorpost biscuit

PandaCat Tue 17-Oct-17 16:58:48

I had 2 growth scans with my first, and like yours they were quick and the sonographer barely said a word. I didn't mind that it was done quickly, but some reassurance from the person doing it would have been nice!

Floralnomad Tue 17-Oct-17 17:04:56

Please go on line and leave some feedback about the service you received this afternoon as that's the only way things will be improved for other people . This may be the NHS but it's a customer service and it relies on feedback from the client , there is no excuse for people not being friendly and helpful in a customer facing role .

Biscuitrules Tue 17-Oct-17 17:50:17

Had 3-4 extra growth scans with both my DS's (different reasons) - both were very healthy weights.

I know you have had your scan now but in terms of what you might expect on other scans, yes they are a bit quicker than the 20 week scan but with all of mine the sonographer had a list of measurements they had to take (head, tummy etc) and they gave me a print out of these to add to my notes so I had a really good picture of how the baby was growing. The print outs showed where the baby was in terms of centile i.e. it gave a measurement in mm then an indication of where this was in relation to the usual spread amongst babies.

I would expect the sonographer to tell you the baby was ok, but they may not have had time to do pictures so would view that as an extra not a right. All of mine were very helpful and some gave me free photos. However once you are in third trimester it is harder to get good photos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now